I Forge Iron

SDS drill as a trip hammer

I have several of these rotary hammer drills lying around from my past life in the construction industry. Spent a few hours driving one. From my experience I would guess that it would not be particularly successful. However If you have an old dead bit not much to loose by trying.

My guess is that It would run to fast to have much control, and that these machines kind of dink rather than really hit it a good solid blow. I bet a good ole hammer on the anvil would move the metal a lot more efficiently. If I were to try using this kind of tool at all it might be for texturing the steel.

Now a pneumatic hammer would be a better choice but I still believe that it would not be a good match for forging. One possible use for a pneumatic tool would be chisel work. I know of at least one smith that uses a pneumatic chisel to split iron. The big problem with even strong pneumatic tools is that their stroke speed makes them hard to control.

In my estimation if you`re attempting to move metal like you would with a hammer and anvil then it`s the wrong tool for the job.
A hammer drill uses relatively light impact with a short stroke to fracture and pulverize things like stone and masonry.It also was designed to rotate while doing this.It`s primary design was for drilling not forming.
That being said,if you have nothing better to do and have worn bits to sacrifice then go for it.If nothing else you`ll learn from the experience.

In my estimation if you`re attempting to move metal like you would with a hammer and anvil then it`s the wrong tool for the job.
A hammer drill uses relatively light impact with a short stroke to fracture and pulverize things like stone and masonry.It also was designed to rotate while doing this.It`s primary design was for drilling not forming.
That being said,if you have nothing better to do and have worn bits to sacrifice then go for it.If nothing else you`ll learn from the experience.

Thats why I said SDS drill as it dosen't rotate (it's like a hand held jack hammer) .
It was just a thought :)

I use an auto body type air hammer to drive some chisels and punches that I made. (standard .401 shank, you can buy cheap sets and forge your own ends.) It works well for that, but is in no way comparable to a power hammer.

fciron - What specific tasks do you use your modified pneumatic tools for . The smith I referenced used his on hot iron (forging temperature) to fork or split the ends of bars or cut notches in plate.

I got this information second hand so don't know what his chisel looked like. Maybe a reverse arc cutting edge to keep the chisel from sliding off.

I have a set of chisels for carving dragon heads; they're sized for working with 1" stock and up. I have played with it for upsetting and other purposes, but nothing good enough to sell.

If I were to use it for slitting I would make a regular hot cut shape and come in from the side. If you try to split from the end you are going to lose a lot of energy to the bar bending or upsetting.

Sliding off of the bar is not as big a problem as you might think. I use a convex chisel for cutting the mouths into the dragons. (Hmm, that is from the end, but it's a very thick bar and a relatively short split.) I am constantly adjusting the chisel while doing this and the convex edge makes this possible. I would think that a concave edge would make it harder to correct for slight errors.

I want to ask... how many hands does it take to work and SDS hammer drill and iron together.... I know the hit ans spin.. or just hit... but... aren't they made to be used with 2 hands?... that leaves hot iron to skitter all over the place.... I am not being picky here... I am just trying to envision using that tool near an anvil or in a vice... mass versus grip... and having a tough time with it...

Although I remember those guys in Sweden or Norway using pneumatic hammers and chisels to work heavy plate...
I can see where an air chisel could make slitting .. or hot cutting sooo much easier...

gonna follow this discussion for a while...
Cliff

I have a Bosch sds max demolition hammer that came with a 'bush hammer boss' and it does a mean job of 'texturing ' steel hot or cold. Sadly despite its power it's very heavy and you can only use it if you are standing over the work. We've played with it and have decided that it could be a great tool for use when you need to claim off workmens compensation, otherwise it is somewhat limited from a blacksmithing point of veiw(It's brilliant at demolition). We regularly find inovative uses for our air hammers and as they are so cheap we see them as chuck-away tools so no one(that's me) gets upity when they get abused!
Ian