I Forge Iron

Curtain poles

I made a curtain pole for myself and made the brackets so the pole runs at 1 1/4" from the wall because I wanted it to be that close to the wall.
Now a client wants 2 of them and I'm wondering what is a common distance to leave from the wall to the pole ?
Are there any other standards I should know when making these ?

Thanks in advance !

Naz

post-8684-042549700 1287972339_thumb.jpg

Find out what type of curtains they want to hang. Thin or thick fabric? (that thick stuff really bunches up, you need some clearance between the wall and rod for it).

Will there be two rods, one with lace curtains and one with drapes?

Do they plan on having a pelmet (box type form that stops light and helps hold in heat/cool) in which case the rod will need to be far enough away from the wall and the inside of the pelmet so its easy to open and close the curtain/drapes.

Try going to a store that does handyman/self intall of curtains and check the sizes avail, here in OZ I would go to Spotlight or Bunnings. You would go to Home Depot? or something like that I guess.

Thanks for this thread, I just got a call last week to come up with some forged curtain rods and was meaning to research them a bit. The customer was wondering how to hang the curtains in a pre-1900 fashion. Tireif, what are those grommets? We were thinking about some kind of loop with a hook, but then wondering how to fix the fabric to them.

Nice work guys, I like the finials and holdbacks. There are some standard distances but I couldn't tell you what they are. It could make a difference how the curtains are hung; directly on the rod or using rings. Here are a few I have done lately.

post-733-066570300 1288006315_thumb.jpgpost-733-049210400 1288006434_thumb.jpg

Hi All,
We have regularly made wrought rails for projects the largest of wich is the 5* Royal Livingstone Hotel in Zambia:
For rails one needs to consider smooth sliding and the best for this is a wax Polished rod/tube with rings formed from twisted bar formed into a ring with a small ring welded on below(90deg) into wich the curtain hook goes. This allows for the use of standard curtain hanging systems. The better types have height adjusting systems built in, this allows for adjustmemt when the curtain 'stretches' under its own weight(and ocasionally shrinks when washed ...don't ask). The distance from the wall should be at least 3" if the material is heavy this is to give a 'Full rich' look. If you look at standard systems the cheaper the product the closer to the wall.
Hope this is of use!
Ian

Thanks for this thread, I just got a call last week to come up with some forged curtain rods and was meaning to research them a bit. The customer was wondering how to hang the curtains in a pre-1900 fashion. Tireif, what are those grommets? We were thinking about some kind of loop with a hook, but then wondering how to fix the fabric to them.

I wish I could say i did those. But the grommets were molded into the curtains. I was prepared to make the very thing you mentioned a loop with a hook. Great minds think alike right? rolleyes.gif But the kids had the curtains picked out before I finished the project and actually communicated with me what they had gotten! How weird is that? Right?tongue.gif

Beautiful work all of you. My wife and I just moved into a nice little house and there are no curtains, maybe I should get the forge set up and start making curtain rods rather than buy them. :D

I take much of what I see here as inspiration and am grateful for the interwebz to bring it to me.

Best regards,
Tim