I Forge Iron

Rosary

jmeineke

This is a rosary I made out of round copper bar stock. The beads are approx 5/16" solid copper cold formed with a guillotine tool and dies. It's pretty beefy - has a solid, heavy feel. Weighs a bit under 6 ounces.

Many members contributed ideas on how to solve problems I was having, improve the dies, drill the holes in the spheres, etc., and here is the end result. I'm going to be replacing the crucifix with something hand-made, but for now I'm just using one I had lying around. I'll probably decorate the center piece (maybe a fish symbol or something). I just flame-colored a piece I hammered out of the bar stock.

Many thanks to all who helped me see this through to completion. I guess I wanted people to not only see the end results, but what can be accomplished by the information and help you can get by the great people on this site. I don't think I would have been able to do it without all the help I received from you guys, and I greatly appreciate everyone who contributed.

One member (wshelley) was even kind enough to send me some new / better bits free of charge. I'll be using them on my next build.

The threads with all the feedback and information / help and additional pics are here for anyone who is interested:

http://www.iforgeiro...__fromsearch__1

post-11274-015314200 1287931407_thumb.jp

post-11274-083902200 1287931408_thumb.jp

post-11274-007255000 1287931410_thumb.jp

post-11274-037737200 1287931411_thumb.jp

Very nice !
My 9 year old daughter will be making her first communion this year. That would be the perfect gift.
Thanks for the link !
Naz

That's awesome. My oldest son just received his first communion about a month ago - congratulations. It's a great experience.

Solid copper makes a pretty heavy rosary, though, so if you're thinking about making one for her - which is a really neat idea; I'm sure she would treasure that for the rest of her life - I'd look into getting some nice Swarovski crystals and make her a really pretty one. Here's a link to some options: Swarovski Crystals. The beading process is the same for whatever you end up using.

I've made a couple of silver ones and all that wire wrapping is enough to drive one up the wall but the end product is worth it. Very nicely done, good work all around on the beads! B)

Yeah, it takes some time / patience to wire it all up but like you said it's worth the effort.

Do you have any pics of the ones you made? I'd like to see them.

I've been kicking around a couple of ideas and yeah, that's one of them. I'm not sure I'd be able to pull it off, though. I've never even made a big one let alone a little one.

I was reading another thread on combining copper and iron and was going to try to come up with something along those lines - I thought that would be a cool effect.

I've been kicking around a couple of ideas and yeah, that's one of them. I'm not sure I'd be able to pull it off, though. I've never even made a big one let alone a little one.

I was reading another thread on combining copper and iron and was going to try to come up with something along those lines - I thought that would be a cool effect.

Get out the modeling clay and make a few for practice. It is easy.

Phil