I Forge Iron

Insulation/Backfill/Hearth Material

dagr8tim

I finally got my brake drum forge together and need some material to make a hearth out of.
Forge_7.sized.jpg
Keep in mind, this is not a completed picture. But this is the best one I have that illustrates what I want to do.

I'm looking for something to pack around the drum that I may or may not cover in fire clay. My goal is to build a hearth around the drum to coke coal and to also server as a tool rest.

I'm considering packing sand, rocks, broken tile/dishes, or some other heat resistant material. Any suggestions.

I made one pretty similar about 40 years ago and I just filled that part with dirt! Packed it in and it worked great. Only lasted a few years - then I sold it, so I can't say much more.

OBTW: I used a cast iron sink and a 5 quart cast iron bean pot! Used a car heater blower and a toy train transformer. Don't think I had 10 bucks in it.

I made one pretty similar about 40 years ago and I just filled that part with dirt! Packed it in and it worked great. Only lasted a few years - then I sold it, so I can't say much more.

OBTW: I used a cast iron sink and a 5 quart cast iron bean pot! Used a car heater blower and a toy train transformer. Don't think I had 10 bucks in it.

Thanks for the tips. I have an extra 4 speed blower motor from my Jeep. You have the wheels turning now....

Sand, clay, wood ash, anything you can pack in that will resist the fire without breaking down will work. If you use something that has some insulation value you may be able to use less fuel.

ron

As the others said, almost anything that doesn't burn or crumble from heat. I used leftover sand and gravel from some foundation work I'd been doing.

Conrad Hodson

Damp clay and sand rammed to a reasonably hard table will work just fine. If it's too wet it'll shrink check so before you ram it up squeeze a lump hard. It shouldn't leave dust or mud or even wet on your hand. Then break the lump, it should break reasonably cleanly without crumbling. If it crumbles it needs a LITTLE more water. If it's soft or leaves your hand damp or muddy it's too wet, add dry clay or sand, mix and let set over night to season.

Car heater blower will work just dandy, I've used them but like my Coleman Inflateall better. Heck, I've made a sheet metal funnel pointed it into the wind and connected it with pipe a few times and it worked like a charm.

Frosty the Lucky.

Funnel to the wind: Were you eating a lot of beans then?

One of my *O* *S* moments was being in a hurry to get home from a demo and dumping the "dead" coals into a metal bucket and loading it in the bed of the pickup only to look in the rear view mirror a few minutes on the road and noticing that the side of the bucket was glowing red...