I Forge Iron

Upsetting Block

Ferrous Beuler

I have a question concerning upsetting blocks. I work in a machine shop so I have access to odd hunks of metal which I think might work well for an upsetting block. We have a lot of drops and bar ends of 4130 steel 5" in diameter. I plan to use one of these in my anvil stand which is a stump. I thought of inletting one on end into the wood alongside the anvil between the feet. I could go with one 8" and bore a hole for it to sit in say about 4" deep. OR I could go through a lot more work to sink in a 14 incher. Should I bother with the bigger one or would the 8 incher prove sufficient for general use? Dan:)

How much upsetting do you do and of what size stock? With the large floor pieces available I'd still go for the smaller one up close.

Thomas

I have a supply of 1/2" by 80" stock that i've been making some beautiful scrap out of as I learn. Upsetting is one more of those fascinating wonderments to a newbie like me. I got the idea for an upsetting block alongside the anvil for small/short pieces from german anvils I've seen with a block built right into them alongside the base, so being new I figured I just gotta have one. Dan:)