I Forge Iron

Most recent knife

felix24

Hello there,
I'm new to the forum and still quite new to the world of bladesmithing (this is my 6th knife). Just thought I'd post up this knife as a way of saying hi. It's one I made for my Dad as a birthday present. The blade is made from O1 tool steel, the bolster is mild steel. Not too sure what type of wood the handle is. Looks nice though :) It has a hidden tang with a bras pin to hold it in place.
In terms of heat treating, I normalized it three times and then annealed it before filing and sanding. Then I quenched it in cooking oil and differential tempered three times with a small blow torch. Going for light blue along the spine bleeding into straw along the edge and purple for the tip. The tang was tempered all the way to a grey colour.

s4022323.jpg

s4022325.jpg

s4022327.jpg

s4022326.jpg

Let me know what you guys think ;)

Have you tested any of your knives to destruction to test the heat treating? The reason I ask is that I work with some parts made of O-1. I recently had to anneal a bar loader collet in order to retap it to a larger size. I heated it red hot, and put it in some kitty litter to cool it slowly. The next day it was still to hard to drill, and a file slid on it. I ended up heating it to a dull red on some fire bricks, and heated the bricks also. When all was smoking hot I closed them over the collet, and that did the trick. I have found that O-1 needs some soak time to draw a temper. It isn't like plain 10 series steels that easily draw with a torch, and watching colors.

thanks a lot for the compliments guys :D

BIGGUNDOCTOR, no I have never tested completely to destruction. So far I have tested my knives by cutting paper, cardboard and wood and seeing if it will still shave my arm. Also I jam the tip into a piece of wood and jiggle it around to see if it will curl or chip. If not them I'm pretty happy. All the knives I have made so far are pretty small, so I haven't done any chopping tests with them.
I'm working on a knife at the moment using a piece of coil spring. I'm not sure exactly what type of steel it is, but I'm planning on giving it a good hard test (cutting, chopping, bending) after I heat treat it to see what it can do, and to see (as you say) if I heat treated it properly. Hopefully I'll get some good results :)

Nothing wrong with a small knife. I use my old Schrade pocketknife for a LOT of work; opening boxes, cutting letters open, skinning various road kill for tanning practice, cutting lunch items up, wood carving, and a lot more. I use my knife just about every day. I can't say the same for the large sheath knives I have which stay in the dresser drawer.

BTW the file work is very nice. Personally I think it looks great, but I would probably use only various radii, no sharp corners in order to avoid stress risers.

Overall I really like the design, and I am sure that your dad will treasure it.