I Forge Iron

Is this crap?

elfshadow14

I know those are attractive when you don't have anything, and that one doesn't look as bad as some I've seen, but it's no replacement for a real anvil, IMO. Certainly good to start on, and I've seen worse.

I was able to find an old Peter Wright in my area for $150, which is pretty rare on the west coast. It's also a bit tired, and could use a little work to make the top flat.

I would check out the CVBG as I mentioned in another thread. You might be able to find a smithy to use while you get setup, like I did, or to find someone that will help you with getting a forge and anvil setup. Heck, you might find a smith who has an extra anvil and will help a guy starting out. Stranger things have happened...

It's a nicely done anvil for RR track, but it's only 14 pounds. Bolted to a good heavy and stable stand it would be useable for small stuff. If your knife making will be mostly stock removal operations, this would be a good starter....depending on selling price. $50-60 max IMHO

elf: In my opinion, it is already overpriced. The only reason to use a RR track anvil is because it is free. Besides, with 9 days to go, I bet that "anvil" goes for more than the starting bid.

CVBG is a fine organization, but not the closest one to you. BGOP has members, including the current president in Luray, who are much closer. If you can make do with other hunks of metal until next April, you can shop for an anvil at the annual Spring Fling hosted by the BGOP practically in your back yard. It will be held at the Ruritan fairgrounds in Berryville from now on, apparently. You can read about the fling developments here:

Blacksmiths' Guild of the Potomac

and the BGOP in general here:

http://www.bgop.org/

Additionally, just down the valley from you, the Shenandoah Valley Blacksmiths Guild (SVBG) holds monthly meetings in Dayton the second Thursday of every month. So you are welcome to attend that on the 9th of November. We hold the meetings in Burkholder Buggy Shop and I can get you directions if you want to attend.

Although it is true you can make do with just about anything, I prefer not to anymore. Good tools make a big difference in the ease with which you can consistently do good work. As blacksmiths, we can make almost all our hand tools, so spending a bit of money on a decent anvil is something you will never regret. Besides, as long as they aren't badly abused, anvils have always appreciated in value.

Well, the seller is right about one thing for certain, it is more detailed than most you see. I'd want it more for the horn than anything else, personally. Since you're interested in knife making, the horn will probably be of less use to you.

What an anvil is, is a solid object against which you can hit a hot metal object.

Does this object fit those criteria? That's what you are asking :)
That may have been what he was asking indirectly, but I thought the question was, "is this crap?".

The short answer is yes. :P

The longer answer is that if you need to ask, keep looking, IMO. As much as everyone likes to get something for free, or find something very useful for a minimal amount, that doesn't seem like it to me. railroad rail is certainly better than nothing, but it's not panacea. I guess it depends on what you want to get out of it.

The OP is in VA, and one is more likely to find an anvil falling from the sky out there than the west coast. Get creative, get out to some barns or estates and get yourself a real anvil. WTF, I could find one out west, you've got to be able to find out back east.

Remember that if you settle for an anvil like that piece of rail, you'll grudgingly use it for quite some time, because you have it.

More of my $0.02.

EDIT: I still reccomend the local group and/or CVBG route, you'd be surprised at who would be willing to help a guy start out, but you will only be surprised if you try.