I Forge Iron

Wootz Steel, Bulat

tobigforyou

Hello:

There are quite a few folks making crucible steel..now that stuff that Daniel Watson is doing is NOT Wootz..it is all done in thermal treatment on already purchased barstock. It is nothing more than a advertising ploy and marketing trick, nothing that involves taking any material to liquidus and then following the proper processes to get Wootz...

JPH

Hello:

There are quite a few folks making crucible steel..now that stuff that Daniel Watson is doing is NOT Wootz..it is all done in thermal treatment on already purchased barstock. It is nothing more than a advertising ploy and marketing trick, nothing that involves taking any material to liquidus and then following the proper processes to get Wootz...

JPH

Thanks JPH for clearing that up. What about the crucible steel, what are some good producers?

I would also recommend Ric Furrer, I have seen his work, it is exceptional.

If you are looking for someone closer, you may be able to find someone on this list:
http://www.buffaloriverforge.com/links/links.htm

One of these days (hopefully) I will contact them and submit my name as well, but not yet. I have only made two cakes so far, both successful, but with wildly differing results. I want to make sure I have it right and can get consistent before I offer it.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow. thanks allot guys, great sources! B)

Guys I don't know if Rick is here. But has he ever tried putting carbon nanotubes into his crucible?
http://www.kleancarbon.com/carbon-nano-tubes.aspx"

Just found this discussion.
JPH is correct about Watson's techo whatever...not wootz to be sure.

ToBig:
The nano-tube thing is a bit of an odd deal. It began with a few articles by a German scientist and made the rounds about a year ago in the wootz circle..pretty much discounted by most of us. One immediate question is ...Did they use the same tools to view pure charcoal or coal or other steel or carbon fiber or other organic materials to see if maybe the nano-tubes are naturally occurring in many things?
I would think that many interesting structures exist in many materials if we bothered to look.

Now then..finding and exploiting are two different things.
I do not knowingly do anything with or regarding nano anything....in point of fact I have enough trouble with the macro world I inhabit.

Ric