I Forge Iron

recent tools

These tools where made by Ed Brazeal and Mark leonard over the past month. We had made others but where given away. Ed and I have been taking turns mastering and striking. The top swages to me where the funnest because I had never seen them hand forged before. This last month with Ed has been great. We are increasing are tool conllection and having a great time doing it. We made several different size fullers. Set hammers, butcher,1 1/2 top swage,2 top swage,cupping tools,hump tools,punches and the list goes on.

post-6565-073988500 1286643220_thumb.jpg

These tools where made by Ed Brazeal and Mark leonard over the past month. We had made others but where given away. Ed and I have been taking turns mastering and striking. The top swages to me where the funnest because I had never seen them hand forged before. This last month with Ed has been great. We are increasing are tool conllection and having a great time doing it. We made several different size fullers. Set hammers, butcher,1 1/2 top swage,2 top swage,cupping tools,hump tools,punches and the list goes on.

What's a hump tool ? Anglo / US same words have differing meanings, could you please elucidate.

What's a hump tool ? Anglo / US same words have differing meanings, could you please elucidate.

A hump tool is radius blocks that surports the hammer or tool when drifting. In some cases the front of your tool is at a different hieght than the striking side so we have many different hieght hump tools

post-6565-037067300 1286666288_thumb.jpg

post-6565-007478700 1286666322_thumb.jpg

I was told not to use the word mastering I should of used the word director. I apologize for using mastering I was just trying to let you know who was on what side of the anvil.

A hump tool is radius blocks that surports the hammer or tool when drifting. In some cases the front of your tool is at a different hieght than the striking side so we have many different hieght hump tools

Thank you for that Taz, I will add it to my list and pictures of Blacksmiths Tools explained, so that more may benefit from that knowledge.

On an aside, I live about 9 miles outside of Exeter (but in Devon in the UK)