I Forge Iron

Tool Collection

Cool. Nice stuff. I have a coffee table book of French Garden tools that was sold here in the US at Pier 1. Many similar tools.

Ok, there's no picture for tool #178, 'Hand bull leader'. Is this related to a 'bull cinch' and does any one here know what I'm talking about?

Cool. Nice stuff. I have a coffee table book of French Garden tools that was sold here in the US at Pier 1. Many similar tools.

Ok, there's no picture for tool #178, 'Hand bull leader'. Is this related to a 'bull cinch' and does any one here know what I'm talking about?

Is this what you mean? Got these pics off the net somewhere, sorry I have no reference for it, but I thought it would make an interesting project/competition piece, have yet to try making one.

post-816-026249900 1286470275_thumb.jpg post-816-065742300 1286470293_thumb.jpg

Is this what you mean? Got these pics off the net somewhere, sorry I have no reference for it, but I thought it would make an interesting project/competition piece, have yet to try making one.

post-816-026249900 1286470275_thumb.jpg post-816-065742300 1286470293_thumb.jpg

Those are for animals with no ring. Bulls are usually ringed and a simple lockable hook will do.
Is that a box joint or halved?

Not a leader, the opposite.

The cinch I've seen was a bar a couple of feet long with a big ring on one end and a poker like barb on the other. Lift the bull's tail and insert the hook and then drop the ring over a fence post. It's a cinch the bull will stay put! :P

Those are for animals with no ring. Bulls are usually ringed and a simple lockable hook will do.
Is that a box joint or halved?

Sliding collar with a latch mechanism over the pivot/hinge point I think, the pivot looks like it is a through joint so call it what you will

The latch seems to be spring loaded so it holds secure when joint is closed

I,ve posted this here because the site isn't about blacksmith's tools but of more general interest.

Sam, IForgeIron is all about blacksmithing AND metalworking. Tools fall under both categories as most tools were originally made (by a blacksmith or metal worker) for a specific job at hand.

If you will look, we have a sub-forum of blacksmithing called TOOLS.