I Forge Iron

spike knife WIP

bipolarskizo

Download the image resizer powertoy from Microsoft. Works with Vista & 7 as well as XP. Just right click the image you want to resize and you'll see an option in the context menu for resizing (after you install the tool, of course).

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

There are other options too - GIMP, Paint.Net, even MS Paint (installed on every Windows machine) will allow you to resize.

Hope that helps.

didn't get it hot enough the first 3 or so heats, but i got the hang of it right before i ran out of charcoal briquettes. Probably a good thing since the sulfur was getting to me ^_^.

Hate to be a Gloomy Guss but charcoal briquettes is a seriously expensive forge fuel. There are ingredients in the that deliberately slow down their burn rate effectively reducing the possible heat you can get from them. I took the liberty of copying this from moosecreekforge.com:

"Whatever you do, don’t try forging with charcoal briquettes; they contain coal dust, green sawdust, and sand as well as actual powdered charcoal. The heat they produce is lower than you’ll need for good forge work, their burn rate is poor for forging (that’s why the green sawdust has been added; to slow the burn rate and make them *last longer* on the cooking fire), and they leave a really nasty residue (mostly sand) in your forge bed. While there IS carbon monoxide produced when burning ANY charcoal, most forges or forging locations are drafty enough to make this a *non-issue*. Just be sure you have good ventilation and you’ll have no problems with that particular by-product of the burning activity."

Here's the entire article if interested: Moose Creek

As a fore mentioned, you'd be better off using something like Royal Oak lump charcoal. Expensive but fare more efficient heating IMO. Hope this helps.
BTW, I agree; nice start. I'm not a knife maker, but I enjoy seeing a well made blade and I like when folks forge the spike head down rather than leave it full. Makes for a prettier finished look.
Scott :)

BTW, I agree; nice start. I'm not a knife maker, but I enjoy seeing a well made blade and I like when folks forge the spike head down rather than leave it full. Makes for a prettier finished look.
Scott :)

I knew going into it that the briquettes weren't ideal. they were just something to get me started. I'm still looking into making my own lump stuff.

As for the forged down head, I pounded it flat after it kept spinning in my pliers and almost hitting my leg, but it does look pretty.

While far from ideal briquettes can and do work well enough up to and including welding or melting. You just have to learn how to make em work and what ones to use. Kingsford doesn't seem to have anything like sand in them though they say there is lignite in em.

If you break them down to around grape size and pay attention to the blast, briquettes can be used and will do the job. Are there better solid fuels? You better believe there are, most work better once you learn how to use em but even Kingsford or worse will work.

Frosty the Lucky.

If u want to make ur own forging coal...u can. Use any type of wood that's available (from building sites, etc.). Get a 55 gal steel barrel with a lid (lid is very important and make sure it fits tightly). Start a fire in the
bottom of the bbl, add wood as far up as u want, put on the lid. It takes some time for the wood to burn down but it will make coal...go to purgatoryironworks.com..there's a video there on exactly how to do it. Also,
this type of coal will burn twice as fast in the forge as true blacksmith coal. Hope that helps some...

Gene