I Forge Iron

great luck at work

Noo-b comments here.
I work as a home inspector in NC so I get to see a lot of different places. Earlier in October, I looked at a house that was built in the really early 1900's: main house was over 3,800 square feet with no additions - big for the day. Well this house had several outbuildings, one of which was the "work shop". Mostly wood stuff, but in the far corner was very clean four or five inch 40-50+ lb leg vice. I mentioned to the buyer that he could probably get a nice penny for that on ebay if the thing was still there when he closed.

He called me the other day almost a month after our inspection and said that he had talked to the seller, who said that he didn't want it and didn't know what it was for. My client said that when he moves in he will give it to me.
Oh, yeah; he is also a machinist and fabricator that works for a shop that makes custom "things' from a wide variety of tool steels and other non-ferrous metals like brass and aluminum alloys. He said that he will start collecting random sized cutoffs and give those to me when he gives me the vice. He was also going to ask around the shop if anybody has any copies of machinist handbooks that they would like to get rid of or sell off.

Chistmas seems to have come a little early. I am waiting to see if any of this really comes to fruition.

carpe malleus:D

I was asked by a widow lady once to appraise some of her husbands woodworking tools, I tried to be as accurate as I knew how in appraising there actual worth. Other people had been ripping her off and as a result of my honesty, she let me have choice of his antique books and also offered me a $250 antique saw for $100 as it was her husbands pride and joy, and she said I would take care of it and use it, not sell it for a profit.

I have always tried to be honest with everything and value my honesty the most.

irnsrgn,
you are absolutely correct. without honesty, Well I just have no idea what else there is. I offered my client money for all that he was offering and he just said that I was very helpful during his home inspection and this was his way of saying thanks.

I was asked by a widow lady once to appraise some of her husbands woodworking tools, I tried to be as accurate as I knew how in appraising there actual worth. Other people had been ripping her off and as a result of my honesty, she let me have choice of his antique books and also offered me a $250 antique saw for $100 as it was her husbands pride and joy, and she said I would take care of it and use it, not sell it for a profit.

I have always tried to be honest with everything and value my honesty the most.
I believe it is good to be honest, but I'm not sure the folks that end up with the tools really appreciate them, especially if they're selling them.

I was at an estate sale last year and the estate mongers were trying to pimp out the poor guy's tools and the kicker was when the guy said, "make me an offer, everything goes today wether it's sold or to the dump, the daughter wants to move into the house next week".

So, while I agree that it pays to be honest, it also feels good to buy an old rusty anvil for $20 from someone that doesn't know any better. :rolleyes: Chances are they don't appreciate it very much anyway...