I Forge Iron

Brake Drum Forge

dagr8tim

Ok, I eventually want to build a propane forge. But I want to start heating and hitting metal. I'm wondering if I have a solid design.

To start out could I take say an old webber kettle grill, line it with fire clay, and then lay some fire bricks on top.then have a brake drum from atleast a 1 ton truck (I'm thinking atleast Dana 60 or Dana 70). Then I could use the drum as a fire pot and the rest of the grill as a hearth.

I know I'd have to re-enforce the base of the grill because it was not designed to support that much weight, and run some form of ducting setup through the bottom.

Like I said, I'm not trying to build the end all beat all. Just something I can start heating metal in, and practicing how it flows and flattens out when it's hammered.

I taught my son how to forge metal by making a hole in the ground,digging a narrow trench off the side and burying a piece of pipe in the trench to supply air by way of an old hand bilge pump from the dump.
Build a camp fire and keep raking the charcoal to the center and you`re all set.No electricity needed.
He tells me he still does this from time to time when he`s out camping with friends and has spread the word pretty effectively using this technique.
Beats getting your lip burned by marshmallows. :)

I have two forges. one is a propane forge i bought from the original builder. the second one is my solid fuel forge. my solid fuel forge is a brake drum forge. mad efrom the brake drum off a ford van. I have yet to find a need for a larger solid fuel forge yet.

I saw your forge in a thread of solid fuel forges. That thread gave me some ideas.

That thread is where I got some of the ideas for my forge. I found that even the car break drum I am using was a bit large when I switched from charcoal to coal. So I lined it with refractory cement to take up some space and give it a better shape. The possibility's are endless my only advice is K.I.S.S. that is what I kept in mind when I built mine. :D

That thread is where I got some of the ideas for my forge. I found that even the car break drum I am using was a bit large when I switched from charcoal to coal. So I lined it with refractory cement to take up some space and give it a better shape. The possibility's are endless my only advice is K.I.S.S. that is what I kept in mind when I built mine. :D

That's what I have to keep reminding myself. I think I have a solid design now. I can't wait to get down to building it.