I Forge Iron

"wright" anvil for 170...Good deal?

I found a "wright" anvil for 170 dollars. It is said to be 172 pounds. I had pictures sent to my phone and the faceplate looks to be in pretty rough condition. Would the cost of resurfacing be worth it for the price of the anvil? it doesnt seem very expensive especially if the resurfacing cost isnt too high.

anvil.bmp

it is a reasonably good deal. It is in not that bad of shape for a starter anvil. I would say use it as is. If you find it is limiting your forging work then fix it. I have worked on anvils worse than that when I started out. Don't be obsessed with having the perfect anvil. Unless you are a very good welder you are going to make a mess of it. and there is really nothing that wrong with it.

Here is another picture of the face. It looks like someone really beat the tar out of it. Thanks for the advice. I cant get enough of this forum right now. Really great place full of information. I just dont know where to start. My railroad anvil just seems like a bad place to start. Its not flat and its 3 feet long. I dont really want to put any money into it so im trying to make due but the base i made for it still seems to bounce around which makes it really tricky. My goal is to forge knives. Is this still a good deal after seeing this second picture?

untitled.bmp

It is definitely a picture of the side, not the face. Hard to tell if it is a great deal or not, since there is no way to tell where you are. Anvil values vary greatly depending on location. In general, though, $1 per pound is a good (low) price for a usable anvil. Most anvils are far from perfect, and hardly need to look new to be usable.

It is harder used than most, I would try to get it a bit cheaper myself. Not a bad deal though as is. I would NOT try to fix it... just use it as is and get a better one too oneday. You'll find it handy even when you do have a nicer one as an anvil that you can risk when doing work that could be rough on an anvil (or for those times when your brother-in-law comes over). An extra anvil makes a nice anvil tool holder too for those times when you need more than one at the ready.

I will have to give better instructions on what i want a picture of tomorrow. I just assumed that someone must have just taken some punches and just punched that into the face for fun. Hopefully you are correct and its just on a different part of the anvil.

If you fool around too long sending requests and pics back and forth there`s a good chance someone will show up with cash and a truck and drive off with a sweet deal.
Just sayin`...

so in its present condition at 170 dollars its a deal? I just am such a novice that I dont want to go snag it up only to get back here to post about my new find and then everyone say I got hustled(which is usually the case). Its about an hour drive from me in central IL. So i just want to be pretty sure.

Just a little mental exercise here;

If you drive over there and the edges are not badly chipped the heel or horn is not broken and the face hasn`t delaminated from the body(does it have a clear ring?)then you are about to pick up an usable anvil for a very good price.Something people here wish for every day!

On the other hand if you make the drive and find this guy is not telling the whole story then you have a chance to bargain him down depending if you still want it or walk away and have only lost 3 hours and some gas which is nothing when factored into the big picture of rust hunting.

My advice,push away from the keyboard and get in the car,son!
PW anvils with no heels or horns are being listed for $1+ per pound every day.I don`t think you`ll have much trouble selling it(probably with some profit) if you find you don`t really like it after all.
Trust me,this one will not last long.

Scott

Last year I had to take a road trip of several hours to go get a 178 lb Trenton for $400. In my "anvil poor" area most considered that a reasonably decent price around here.

It boggles my mind that you're wondering if you should get it or not.

As Mainely Bob said.
Get off the computer, and go pick it up!

Get the anvil---avoid the grinder! At most just use a sander on it to clean surface grunge off.

My usual suggestion is to only do to the face of your anvil what you are willing to have done to your own face!

Lovely tome of year for a drive on Saturday, make sure you have some small bills for garage sales and fleamarkets and junk stores...

well somehow since last night the price changed to 325 dollars. A little out of my price range for just getting into it. Darn.

So these two foxes come upon this chicken and the one fox says,"what do you think buddy,I`m thinkin` about gettin` that bird"The second fox replies"I don`t know,it may have somethin` wrong with it,looks can be deceiving".
The first fox says....
While they are talking the farmer walks over and scoops the chicken up and puts it back in the coop and shuts the door.
The two hungry foxes look a each other and walk away wishing they had pounced instead of talked.
I trust you get the picture.

Hint,it wasn`t the one on your cell phone or you computer monitor,those already got away.

There is a small but very dangerous group of people at work in the world.These folks have no intention of buying anything they see advertised anywhere but instead feel it`s their duty to "educate" sellers about what their items are REALLY worth.
They will call and inform them of it`s history,pedigree,collectability and most damaging of all it`s "true value" based upon what they have seen on flea-bay.
They don`t want it but more importantly they don`t want to see anyone else get a great deal on it.
I suspect these nimrods are the same people who start internet viruses."Educating" sellers is just either a simple diversion or a hobby for them. <_<

yah im pretty bummed. I couldnt have gone and picked it up before monday anyway so I didnt have much choice. I think they educated themselves. It went from bing listed as "antique anvil" to "peter wright"

You should update your profile to include your location. You'll get a lot better advice on what you can expect to pay for an anvil that way. A good buy in New Mexico is not the same as a good buy in Ohio, for example.

Don't get too bummed out - just keep looking. Give the TPAAAT method a try - it works. Have a look here:

Call the guy and make him an offer. Ask him if the anvil is the same as the one he had listed at the lower price. Tell him you will give him 200 bucks for it. Say if it doesn't sell you will give him 200 for it. He may call you back in a few weeks. I have gotten some good deals on tools that way. Be ready to jump when you see a good deal and have your money ready.