I Forge Iron

Beaudry for sale

]I have a 25# Beaudry utility hammer for sale. It is in good condition given its age ~1920. It comes with 4 sets of spare/blank dies. Motor is 3/4 horse 1 ph and plugs into a 20 amp socket; an old/original 3/4 -3ph motor available.

I bought this hammer in 1972. I have replaced it with a 25 kg air hammer and though I have a strong sentimental attachment to it, I have very limited space for storage and it is now surplus.

There are no cracks or repairs in the frame; the anvil keyway is in very good condition. In the past 5 years I have replaced the pitman, coil spring and the bronze adjustable gib. I replaced the clutch material in 1972 and that material now needs to be replaced with some lining that I have on hand.

The spare dies are made from machined die stock from the Beaudry Company, and consist of a pair of long universal top and bottom dies (aggressive fuller and flat), a gentle fuller die and several small blank dies. The spare dies are essentially in unused condition, flat and square. The dies in the hammer are bigger than the spares and have seen 98% of all use, and are probably from a 50# Beaudry Utility. The surface of these dies have been welded from time to time and ground to maintain them.

The capacity of the hammer is probably 1" square, though before I acquired a 100# Beaudry in 1978, I used it frequently to forge 1.25" square bar for railing posts. The Beaudry design has excellent access to the dies for forging from 3 sides.

I cannot recall the weight of the hammer but guess it is about 750-800 lbs. As you can see the design is compact and does not take up much room in the shop.

Price:$2850 Location is in eastern Massachusetts. tmillham@verizon.net; 508-636-5437post-348-023679100 1285512210_thumb.jpgpost-348-062655800 1285512240_thumb.jpgpost-348-058331900 1285512271_thumb.jpg
post-348-009538600 1285512180_thumb.jpgpost-348-001092800 1285512389_thumb.jpgpost-348-045175100 1285512320_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tony

nice machine !
i've got a 50lbs stockwell..its the same design and it hits very nice
- i had a heck of a time finding anyone who had a similar hammer

i'd never part with mine... unless i got a massey clearspace

take care
Greg

The upper die is 2" wide and 4" long. The lower die is about 2"x 6". Both dies are about 1.75" from face to the start of the keyway.

yessir

here's a pic

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e396/dimenickel/power%20hammer%2050lbs/hammer%20with%20motor/

mine didn't have the dies with it ...so i had some nice ones made of s7

maybe i should post this somewhere else.... i don't want to go off topic

Greg

Dimenickle: Interesting. It looks like you have the original motor mount which was gone on mine.

The only other 50# hammer I know of is owned by John Little in Nova Scotia and he loves it.

It will be interesting to see how many of these Utility hammers turn up on this site. Barbour Stockwell was located in East Cambridge, MA. My recollection is that the stopped making hammers about 1950 after their foundry burned and their patterns with it but I think they stopped making the utility in the 1930's.

Hi Tony

thank you for the information..

by the way, its a small world.. i know John Little quite well and it was his advice that i by the hammer that i have.... mine was sold by a fellow who bought it from the halifax military ship yard.. apparently it sat in a tool room for decades .. very little use on mine ..except for the ten layers of peeling paint.. (why they painted it so many times i have no idea )

I have a small pic of John's hammer.. hope he doesn't mind

his is exactly like mine cept he's got beaudry on the side of his

I could take some better pictures of my motor mount...if you'd like to see... just incase you'd like to fabricate something similar

take care
Greg

• 3 months later...