I Forge Iron

Finally getting an anvil

Don't mind at all.
My screen name, I feel that hatred is a criminal act against humanity. People who are like; I hate this, I hate that, I hate them; drive me insane. So I started with criminal2hate but on a few different web pages I couldn't use the 2 so I dropped it for just criminalhate and have been using it as my online persona for about 10 years.

And recently there's a really bad music group out called criminalhate =/

Anyways that's the short history of my screen name and what it means.

Back on topic

The edges of the anvil are definitely beat up some but all in all it has 100 times better rebound then my chunk of steel I've been using. I went at it with a wire brush and a few slap type sanding disc for about an hour last night once I get everything usable I'll post some better pic's.

Now I need to go figure out the best type of anvil stand to build.

Now I need to go figure out the best type of anvil stand to build.

Call up your local firewood guy, and order a round of a minimum diameter. Ask for hardwood preferably oak, but maple and others are acceptable. Should cost $20 or so if you pick it up (firewood suppliers charge different, many are "side jobs"), and it should fit in the trunk of your car. Remember the sheet of plastic if it is not your car (and even if it is your car why make a mess).

Stand up straight in your work boots and measure from your wrist bones to the floor. Subtract the height of the anvil, and add some waste for leveling the stump when you get it home. Shortening the stump is easy.

The older boors state to have the anvil at knuckle height, but it has been mentioned that shops typically employed strikers universally. Based on several threads on the topic here wrist height is preferred in a one man shop. If the anvil is slightly high, a low step can fix that easily.

Now get some stock and forge some attachment that can be lagged into the stump and tightened with nut and bolt for "easy" separation.

Phil

Call up your local firewood guy, and order a round of a minimum diameter. Ask for hardwood preferably oak, but maple and others are acceptable. Should cost $20 or so if you pick it up (firewood suppliers charge different, many are "side jobs"), and it should fit in the trunk of your car. Remember the sheet of plastic if it is not your car (and even if it is your car why make a mess).

Stand up straight in your work boots and measure from your wrist bones to the floor. Subtract the height of the anvil, and add some waste for leveling the stump when you get it home. Shortening the stump is easy.

The older boors state to have the anvil at knuckle height, but it has been mentioned that shops typically employed strikers universally. Based on several threads on the topic here wrist height is preferred in a one man shop. If the anvil is slightly high, a low step can fix that easily.

Now get some stock and forge some attachment that can be lagged into the stump and tightened with nut and bolt for "easy" separation.

Phil

Phil when I get the 3 new stumps will ya come by and trim them for me. Been there done that. Dang cut off an inch now its crooked. Square it up now it's too short. Only really works if your going to bury the stump. Did one for a 200lb trenton. Every thing looked perfect till I realized the base was off. May have to reconsider fabbing a steel stand or a sand fill.
Ken.

Phil when I get the 3 new stumps will ya come by and trim them for me. Been there done that. Dang cut off an inch now its crooked. Square it up now it's too short. Only really works if your going to bury the stump. Did one for a 200lb trenton. Every thing looked perfect till I realized the base was off. May have to reconsider fabbing a steel stand or a sand fill.
Ken.

Ken, if it were easy, everybody would be doing it. (official shop motto)

Build a tripod and build it heavy, one inch plate for the anvil to sit on, 2 inch x 4 inch tubing for legs 1/4 inch wall, no light gauge, cap the feet with flat plate at least 1/4 inch thick. You can build this in the same time it take to prep a stump. It should look something like this
post-10376-063868500 1285425052_thumb.jp

I screwed a couple 2x4 to the sides of the stump and cut along those. Yes, using a chain saw. I set up on gravel, so perfectly leveled isn't necessary since I just twist and adjust the whole thing.

There are several sets of directions using a router to trim the bit perfectly. I don't have a router though.

Phil