I Forge Iron

A typical day

I always figure that a day in the smithy isn't complete until I burn the end off a piece and pick up the hot end of something. That tells me it's time to close down the fire and go in the house. I certainly wasn't disappointed today.

Anybody else have these type of things happen when you're tired?

definatly, but it isn't so much that I burn things, as well as myself, but I can feel myself begin to fail. Hy hammer strokes aren't as precise, my arm is feeling heavy, etc. At that point I call it quits and pack up before I really screw something up.

I'm only able to work in my little shop at most once a week, and my day job is desk work. I usually work for 2 to 4 hours before I start feeling unsteady in my aim. This depends on whether I use the 1.8, 2 or 4 pound hammer most. I am sort-of ambidextrous, so I switch hands every 30 minutes or so, but I still wear out. Whenever I start feeling the "wobbles", I straighten out the piece I'm working on and throw it on the dirt floor, or switch to the light hammer and carefully finish up.

Recently, I had the chance to work as a striker with a more experienced smith, and the 16 pound sledge tired me out quickly! I would beat for a few minutes, and I was happy when the metal needed more heat. :)

Fatigue can be very dangerous in a shop environment almost every injury I've done myself has been while tired.

You have to learn the signs and either pack it in, change tasks or something. Working through fatigue is just asking for trouble from wasted effort, ruined work to losing body parts.

One simple fatigue fighter is planning your work. The more effort you save the longer you'll last. Here's one really simple bit of planning. Plan the heavy work early in the day and switch to lighter and lighter work as the day progresses.

You'll be able to work longer, more effectively and most importantly more safely.

Frosty