I Forge Iron

Gates & signs Finished

Double Y

Here are a few of my recently finished projects.

The Steve Fork Cemetery gate is 11'6" and just short of 6' tall. The cemetery is in Garfield Co. (east central) Montana and is where my Great Great Grandfather, Great Grandmother and Great Aunt are all buried.

The Beley memorial is a marker for a friend's Grandfather who passed this summer. He was an avaid packer and I took the silhouete from a picture of him. The outline of the mountains is the view of the Crazy Mountains in south central Montana from their ranch where his ashes were spread. The memorial is 2' by 2'

The Heeg sign was a Christmas gift for my little sister and her husband that took them 6 months to decide on the design! The sign is about 3' by 3'

The last sign is for my brother and sister-in-law in Canada. The overhead gate on the way into their ranch is 18' wide and 24' tall. This piece is 32" tall and 10' wide. I put a rim of 1 & 1/2 by 1/4 inch to stabilize the whole piece.

The only true forge work were for the rings I forged and welded to the signs so they could be hung. I also forged a gate latch for the cemetery gate as well.

Topping the whole works is a couple heads of wheat I cut out just for fun.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

John

post-5371-024227100 1285084571_thumb.jpg

post-5371-071220500 1285084582_thumb.jpg

post-5371-019717000 1285084591_thumb.jpg

post-5371-031191700 1285084603_thumb.jpg

post-5371-096463500 1285084610_thumb.jpg

Here are a few of my recently finished projects.

The Steve Fork Cemetery gate is 11'6" and just short of 6' tall. The cemetery is in Garfield Co. (east central) Montana and is where my Great Great Grandfather, Great Grandmother and Great Aunt are all buried.

The Beley memorial is a marker for a friend's Grandfather who passed this summer. He was an avaid packer and I took the silhouete from a picture of him. The outline of the mountains is the view of the Crazy Mountains in south central Montana from their ranch where his ashes were spread. The memorial is 2' by 2'

The Heeg sign was a Christmas gift for my little sister and her husband that took them 6 months to decide on the design! The sign is about 3' by 3'

The last sign is for my brother and sister-in-law in Canada. The overhead gate on the way into their ranch is 18' wide and 24' tall. This piece is 32" tall and 10' wide. I put a rim of 1 & 1/2 by 1/4 inch to stabilize the whole piece.

The only true forge work were for the rings I forged and welded to the signs so they could be hung. I also forged a gate latch for the cemetery gate as well.

Topping the whole works is a couple heads of wheat I cut out just for fun.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

John

Very nice work John.

I believe that I live not too far from your brother's ranch (I live in Regina). It would be nice to see the sign in real life.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I appreciate your comments.

I got some upsetting news this evening. I had loaded up the Cemetery gate and was set to drive the 140 miles to Miles City Montana to cross load the gate to another pickup for the next 100+ miles...when I got an e-mail...

The lady who had ordered the gate sent me a message that she had just shared a picture of the gate with the family of the lady who it was dedicated to. And the name is spelled wrong. Not just a little bit wrong, both the first and last name are spelled wrong.

I built the gate and cut the name out the way she sent it to me. She just flat misspelled it.

ARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

It isn't my mess up and they have all agreed to chip in whatever it will cost to redo the gate, but WOW is this agrivating.

I don't spell well - as you can tell from my typing! - so I am always double careful to check what the customers have sent me. This was just a flat mistake.

So now it is cut and grind, wirebrush and paint!

Sorry for the whining....I needed to vent without going out and beating on the anvil.

Hope all your weekends are grand,

John

Nice work John!

Bummer about the misspell - - What about the dates?

I'm not saying this to be flip . . . a number of years ago I cast a bunch of plaques for a park bench project and when delivery time came it was; "Uhmmm, you've spelled the name wrong" - quick trip to the ol' design documents and there was the client's initials next to the approved spelling - Took them back, melted them down and recast at their expense - delivered again - - they mounted them to the benches and someone pointed out that they had the date wrong as well!
They didn't have me recast them again . . . .dry.gif

Well I think the dates are correct, but I will have them check that too before I recut the panel.

Though now the Cemetery folks are debating if they want any name on the gate. Apprently another family donated more money. Which means they have the dollars to for me to redo the gate, which is good, but they may want to remove the name portion.

Oh well, it all pays the bills. Just agrivating.

Thanks for the comments, and yes all my pieces are hand cut. No CNC in my shop.

All the best,

John