I Forge Iron

forge blower from blacksmith depot?

Ric Furrer

What type of forge are you going to use, gas, charcoal, coal, etc

How large is that forge, one burner, 3 burner, 5 burner (gaser) or brake drum, buffalo style, or industrial forge that takes a whole lot of coal to keep it going.

What size stock are you going to be forging? Something 1/2 inch in size takes a different amount of heat than something that is 2 inch in size.

You going to use this on one forge or you going to gang 3, 5, 10 forges to the same blower?

How much pressure (give PSI and CFM) do you think you need for the forge you are using? Show us photos of the forge please. We need some details to better answer your question.

What type of forge are you going to use, gas, charcoal, coal, etc

How large is that forge, one burner, 3 burner, 5 burner (gaser) or brake drum, buffalo style, or industrial forge that takes a whole lot of coal to keep it going.

What size stock are you going to be forging? Something 1/2 inch in size takes a different amount of heat than something that is 2 inch in size.

You going to use this on one forge or you going to gang 3, 5, 10 forges to the same blower?

How much pressure (give PSI and CFM) do you think you need for the forge you are using? Show us photos of the forge please. We need some details to better answer your question.

Propane forge on its own.
If there is a CFM/pressure to BTU to furnace interior square foot to Temp then I would like to see it.
Roughly
200 pounds of steel per hour from 65F to 2250F heat up.
Furnace size is six cubic foot.
two burner

Another operation:
single gas forge, single burner, single blower
one cubic foot furnace dimmension
20 pounds of steel from 65F to 2800F in one hour

Ric

I dont want to get in trouble for steering people away from IFI but there is been a couple of threads, one a tutorial on ribbon burners over on the NWBA site... blacksmith.org

Ric I know the big pine ridge LP390 burner will do 3 cubic feet of forge ( I have one) so a unit with two should do your 200lbs/Hr at 6 CF.... I am just building my first ribbon burner but have been around a few... they are quite, efficient and controllable... and no worries about "hot enough" they will turn steel to a puddle in a properly designed forge..

I also have one of the 164 CFM OCP blowers... I dont think you could buy anything better for the money...

It is not steering people away from IFI if NWBA has the information.

IForgeIron refers folks to the information and expects those sites to reciprocate referring folks to IForgeIron if we have the information that is needed.

Grant and IFI are continuing to discuss how we can work together to the benefit of the craft.

NWBA has a discussion on RIBBON BURNERS