I Forge Iron

NC State Fair is Coming

This makes my fourth attampt at starting a post - what am I doing wrong? There used to be a semi-easy way to thumbnail the image into the post.

Oh well, The NC state fair in Raleigh NC is just aroung the corner. I have been lucky enough to be able to work one half day and three full days in the NCABANA smithy on the fairgrounds this year. That means 9-9 answering questions, working in the store and bnaging iron!!

Last year I did the same and actually brought in and sold a small amount of stuff. This year I have been trying to bring a bit more. Here is what I have so far.

gallery_734_4_919703.jpg

I have another three or four weeks to make more, and I have it in the works. Last year, even with "the economy" all of the stuff I had sold out in the first four days.

One of the things I heard from a bunch of parents was "is there anything in the $4-5 range?" I started making snake paperweights and little hooks. This year I am borrowing an idea from Brian B (small hearts - although I am cheathing and making mine from heavy 2-inch angle) and Sam S (skull belt buckle thing - alhtough mine will be from 1.5 by 3/16-inch flat stock). I am also working on a few dozen un-folded crosses on little wood bases.

When I figure out the picture posting method, I will put some pics in.

If you want thumbnails click on "Use Full Editor" at the bottom of the Fast reply window and click on "Browse", select and upload pics from your comp. works for me anyway.

How much for the kid? He looks to be of trainable age and we could use a youngun to keep or dog pup occupied and learn to feed goats and clean pastures.

For metal work I don't have any $4-5 items, they don't sell. When I upped the $9.95 ea and $35 for a set of four items they started going like hotcakes. Hand made items come with bragging rights for the buyer and nobody can brag in a satisfying manner about how LITTLE something cost. Seriously, leaf finial coat hooks I was happy to get $10 for were mediocre sellers at fairs and such till I upped them to $20 items and then I couldn't keep samples on the table. Under $20 and fits in a pocket or hand bag, hand made items sell.

The old saw about how a blacksmith goes to hell seems to be pretty right on the money. don't hit the black metal and don't sell yourself short! My experience for what it's worth says the second is true for mild steel anyway.

Frosty the Lucky.

Thanks for the Advice Frosty. on both counts. I don't particularly like putting (as my older teenage daughter likes to say) GINORMOUS pictures on the post, but just getting the one on there took five tries.

As for the cheap pricing, just about everything in the picture is $15 and up. The little hearts are the $5 items. I figured that and little tiny snakes made from 1/4" round.

Oh, and Charley, while he would love to chase the puppy and hang around the shop (he does that now anyhow) just ain't for sale :D

Thanks too, Bad Creek. I have been able to work down to 3/8 crosses, but 1/4" is just too little for my fumbly hack sawing. :blink:

Well darn. Maybe once he's big enough to throw hay bales and is getting on your nerves you'd like to lend him out for a summer? Deb's a past master (mistress?) at putting teens to work. I'd be happy to show him some fun tricks to do with common cleaners and other household chemicals. Heck, I'll not only cook for him, I'll teach him to cook. NOTHING gets the babes like being a good cook, except maybe a puppy.

Just something to think about.

Frosty the Lucky.

Hey Paul,

I look forward to seeing you at the fair if the wife feels well enough to go. The wife always has to see the critters and I always gravitate towards the Blacksmith shop, lumberjack, sorgum, etc area. Nice looking work in the pic. Look forward to meeting you.

Mark<><

Mark, I am in the shop all day monday, tuesday and thursday. only half day wednesday.

Shortdog, One of the local smiths told me his secret about making easy-to-do, matching (or at least semi-matching) hooks is to use square concrete cut-nails or long horseshow nails. cut nails are easier for me to get and I can get them in varying lengths. for the three-hook thingys in the picture I use 2.5-inch nails and let my two older sons make them. Just round, flatten (half on , half off) and bend.

Frosty, My oldest daughter asked if SHE could come out and toss hay bales, once I told here where you lived.

Frosty, My oldest daughter asked if SHE could come out and toss hay bales, once I told here where you lived.

No objections from me but but running it past Deb is the only chance I'd have of NOT getting shot! Does she like to play with fire and hit things with hammers?

The pic's Falki, my babe magnet in training puppy. I love his pharaoh eye makeup and black lipstick. Your daughter into the Goth look? I'm NOT paying for tats or piercings!

Frosty the Lucky.

post-975-069151700 1284946177_thumb.jpg

post-975-098618500 1284946188_thumb.jpg