I Forge Iron

The Blowiest of them all!!

E.F. Thumann

Hey guys,

I figured a few of you would like to see some of the upper limits of what air/propane will do :D ......In the pics you will see 12 burners (tall ones) that are 10 Million BTU output, and the smaller one is rated 3 Million BTU. Notice spray can in pic for size comparison. Hence the topic description of 123 million BTU in one pic :rolleyes: I make the burners from 304 and 316 S/S, the 10 Mils run on an 8" flex hose, powered by a 15hp blower, the 3 Mils run on either a 8" hose with a blastgate to slow the flow, or a 6" hose with an adapter plate. The burners have redundant ignitions, and all the failsafe solenoids you could ask for (they are powered by gas trains that we also make in the shop). The trains can be made full auto, with thermocouple feedback. Obviously they are too big to run in a home forge (the $20-25k price tag including the train might be a lil prohibitive too!) Mostly the burners go into large heat treating furnaces that we build...........in case you are wondering what they will do.............A pair of Ten Mil burners in a 18ftx18ftx60ft furnace will heat a 200,000 lb (<--not a typo) low alloy mild steel vessel up to transition temp (approx 1300 deg farenheit) in seven hours.............oh, and each ten mil is wide open, it consumes a gallon of LP EVERY 28 SECONDS:) Fun times:)

post-13867-065372600 1284343150_thumb.jp

post-13867-052716300 1284343167_thumb.jp

Hey guys,

I figured a few of you would like to see some of the upper limits of what air/propane will do :D ......In the pics you will see 12 burners (tall ones) that are 10 Million BTU output, and the smaller one is rated 3 Million BTU. Notice spray can in pic for size comparison. Hence the topic description of 123 million BTU in one pic :rolleyes: I make the burners from 304 and 316 S/S, the 10 Mils run on an 8" flex hose, powered by a 15hp blower, the 3 Mils run on either a 8" hose with a blastgate to slow the flow, or a 6" hose with an adapter plate. The burners have redundant ignitions, and all the failsafe solenoids you could ask for (they are powered by gas trains that we also make in the shop). The trains can be made full auto, with thermocouple feedback. Obviously they are too big to run in a home forge (the $20-25k price tag including the train might be a lil prohibitive too!) Mostly the burners go into large heat treating furnaces that we build...........in case you are wondering what they will do.............A pair of Ten Mil burners in a 18ftx18ftx60ft furnace will heat a 200,000 lb (<--not a typo) low alloy mild steel vessel up to transition temp (approx 1300 deg farenheit) in seven hours.............oh, and each ten mil is wide open, it consumes a gallon of LP EVERY 28 SECONDS:) Fun times:)

Next time my supplier says he is out I will know who to blame. Bad enough inna forge but when there are 2 huge porterhouses on the grill its Hoffa time. Grin.
Ken.

Lungs Shaking: I got to hear a Saturn V, (Apollo 11), go up from closer than the VIP viewing area, (Holiday Inn parking lot in Titusville just across the river from the cape...) and that is what I remember the most it was doing my breathing for me as my chest was resonating with the flickering flame sound...

(Father worked for NASA during the 60's...)

Years ago I worked at a nuke site and was a welder on the containment vessel. Two inch plate, 200 ft. diameter and 300 ft. tall. They stress relieved the vessel in one burn using propane, diesel fuel and compressed air burners. Heated to 1500 degrees and held for two hours (as I remember). Don't know how much fuel they used but they had tankers of propane and diesel coming and going for two days.

Years ago I worked at a nuke site and was a welder on the containment vessel. Two inch plate, 200 ft. diameter and 300 ft. tall. They stress relieved the vessel in one burn using propane, diesel fuel and compressed air burners. Heated to 1500 degrees and held for two hours (as I remember). Don't know how much fuel they used but they had tankers of propane and diesel coming and going for two days.

Bill,

For the coal-gen plants, they make the coker drums (some people call them coker towers) out of 3-4" thick alloy steel, typically 25-30ft diameter, and approx 120ft tall. The drums require single heat stress relief. A recent job not too far from us required 15 Ten Mil burner trains (the big ones in the upper pic). The burners consumed approx. 19,000 gallons of propane in 11 hours :lol: That's in addition to 100+ heat-treating consoles that each power 18-24 high temp ceramic heaters (2,000 deg.) apiece. Each of the 100+ machines draws between 100-150 amps of 480v B)

E.F. Thuman, Nice burners! Is your business by any chance located near Ringoes in Hunterdon County? I'm in Rosemont and have been working on burners much smaller than yours- with much smaller propane requirements too. Those pictures are fun to see. Steve G

The shop is located in Hamilton/Trenton (depends on how the post office feels on any given day).

actually, the tanks would freeze solid ...but i keep them in a hot water bath... and have a gauge on the tank side to tell me what psi is available.. .. ..
- i just run a garden hose from inside the house.. from the laundry tube to get the hot water on demand
-sit the tank in a plastic garbage can

heres small vid of my process

- i've thought of going to one of those bottom siphon tanks but then i'd have to rethink my burner design...

i'm in the small league compared to the volume your dealing with.. vaporizers ? do you scavenge heat from the burner or furnace, or is it by other means

Greg

Greg, do your tanks freeze up on you dropping that much propane that quickly? We use 120 gph vaporizers to power each ten mil. It bypasses the freezing, as well as the pressure-drop issue.

Do you guys make the vessels too or are you in the process heating equipment business? I'm glad to see there is still some viable manufacturing going on in Trenton when so many of the old factories are empty and decaying. I hope it continues well for you. Steve G

Steve,

We manufacture all sorts of heating equipment for heavy industry (mostly petroleum, nuclear, coal-gen). Combustion heating, resistor-core ceramic pads (used in on-site pipe stress relief), infrared, induction, a lot of diff. product lines. As well as the computer controls for all of the above. The fab work in the shop is centered around the metalworking needs of the proprietary products, as well as specialty items (once people find out that they can have products custom-tailored to their needs, everyone wants to do it). We don't do vessels, although there is a local shop that does specialize in large ones (they roll the plate in house, but I believe they sub-contract the tank heads).

actually, the tanks would freeze solid ...but i keep them in a hot water bath... and have a gauge on the tank side to tell me what psi is available.. .. ..
- i just run a garden hose from inside the house.. from the laundry tube to get the hot water on demand
-sit the tank in a plastic garbage can

heres small vid of my process

- i've thought of going to one of those bottom siphon tanks but then i'd have to rethink my burner design...

i'm in the small league compared to the volume your dealing with.. vaporizers ? do you scavenge heat from the burner or furnace, or is it by other means

Greg

Greg,

That's a beautiful setup! I like the simplicity:) I tell all my guys in the shop: if someone sees something you've made, and has to walk around for five minutes looking at it and trying to figure out what each piece does, then it's overly complex and a complete P.O.S. (KISS)

The vaporizers are basically a whiskey still in reverse. (Ignoring the purification side of the distillation process). In a "still" you take the liquid, heat it, and run it through a cold coil to condense the vapor. Well in a vaporizer, you take the cold (relatively speaking of course) LP, and run it through a coil that is subject to a blast of hot air (heated by flame), and it vaporizes/boils the LP in the coil as it travels down the length, and emerges as propane gas at the outlet; and down the pipe to your screen filter (hopefully if you are running exensive solenoids!), regulators, gate valves, etc, and gets puked out as a 60" blue/clear flame :lol: The propane that powers the vaporizers is bled off the main LP line upstream of the vaporizer. Ahhhh canabalism! :rolleyes: