I Forge Iron

Good to have friends

A few weeks ago a fellow local smith told me another smith he worked with had a post drill for sale. He went on to tell me the fellow bought it for 60$ and had to rebuild it from the parts he had from other drills to far gone to be rebuilt. It had taken him some time to do it and then he painted it and now wanted to sell it. Was I interested? Umm......YES!!!! how much? Well with the use of all the part and painting and such he wanted 80$. 80?!?!, yep, 80$. Well, I didn't have 80 on me at the time, would he be willing to hold it for me? He called him, told him who was interested and would he hold it, yes he would. Life is good! Two weeks ago I went and picked it up. It was like it came right from the catalog. Only 2 small spots had repairs otherwise it is perfect. I went and got a chuck for it sat and today I mounted it. Why did I get it so cheap after all the work he had done? I may have been doing this for a few yrs but I have not been able to acquire toys so smiths make me great deals and it is understood that down the line I will make some new smith an excellent deal also. Pay it forward so to speak.

post-9523-062372600 1283810068_thumb.jpg

post-9523-098478900 1283810079_thumb.jpg

post-9523-051182100 1283810096_thumb.jpg

"Why did I get it so cheap after all the work he had done?"...........Because God loves You! How's that for an answer, no, ok. Maybe it was just your day in the barrel or maybe the guy was just tired of turning the crank to drill a hole. Nice looking post drill for what ever reason you got it for such a reasonable price. I still vote for the first reason. :blink:

Nice score Dennis! I've met a lot of guys who "wanted" to learn but only a few who've actually tried. For those who DO there's help all over the place. What I've asked in return for showing folk what I know is they pass it on.

Beautiful drill.

Frosty the Lucky.

What a beaut Dennis.......Makes you feel good when someone thinks that much of you to hold a tool and give you that kind of pricing. I would like to get a post drill there nice to have, almost had one and didn't want to spend the money....at the time I wanted it for a wall hanger wasn't smithing the thing sold for $45.00 at auction.

Reminds me of buying an "electric forge" from an old fellow who advertised it in a local nickle paper back in the 80's. Never having seen an electric forge I went over and it was a nice rectangular cast iron forge table with round fire pot and an *electric* blower for $60! He showed me an old champion RR forge---large heavy cast iron forge that the firepot was damaged a bit where he had burnt a piece of RR rail in two when he left it and ran in to get the phone and told them to call back he had steel in the forge!

I asked him if he was willing to sell it too and he said sure but as it was bigger he would need more money for it---$80.

I ended up with both forges.