I Forge Iron

My 'cheap' little forge.

Ulric

My 'cheap' forge...

Bought the blower, nipple and 2 fittings. Rest was scrounged up in a relatives barn.

20-25 gal drum, adobe insulating layer. The nipple can be pulled out to be replaced.
Still tweaking a bit to get the cut-outs on front & back 'just right' in relation to
fire.

Scorched the back shelf when I had the other 1/2 of the drum on top. Plan on lining it (the top)
with insulation, mounting a coulpe loops and rigging a way to lift and lower it on the forge.

Since the photos were taken it's been moved to the back of the barn....

post-14529-060578200 1283782306_thumb.jp

post-14529-063909800 1283782312_thumb.jp

post-14529-099963200 1283783150_thumb.jp

post-14529-066781100 1283783251_thumb.jp

Funny you say that, several family members have been hoping that a hurricane or fire it would take it out.
So I've spent my time rebuilding and shoring it up. The old tools etc I dug up helped rekindle my interest and led to me to building the little forge.

• 1 month later...

Wow i like it.. I am very new to smithing and have tried make a few differnt forges in the last few weeks. This one looks like one i could do and not have to spend money. also looks like it would work great. hope you dont mind me using your idea. thank you :)

Go for it, and I have to give Tim Lively the credit for the idea. :-)

It will crack, how much etc dependent on how stable/solid the container and stand are. It's easily 'fixed' or 'patched' up by adding/smoothing on fresh mix. Just make a bit more than you need, and keep it in bucket, if it starts to dry out, add a bit of water and stir it around a tad.

You need to fill it enough to provide a deep (but not very wide) fire for the project you are working on: 1" sq stock will need a lot more than 1/4" sq stock. You wanrt to be able to shove the stock in a neutral part of the fire. How it's being blown will make a difference too!.

To light I usually throw a bit of kindling in the forge, get that burning and then add charcoal and air.