I Forge Iron

rail road track.

RR rail is commonly used for beginning anvil. Biggest issue is cutting and shaping of a horn. But as many will attest, an anvil doesn't have to look like a "London Pattern" anvil to work good. That section you have could be set vertical in a bucket of cement and used on end. More mass under the hammer that way. Less cutting; Just cut to good hammer height. Also, not as big of hitting surface but that makes for better hammer control practice. That being said, if the classic looking anvil is what you're after, google "anvils from rr track". Lots of them made and nice ones too. If the classic style is your desire, however, prepare for a noisy shop. They DO ring!! :D

Edit: dkunkler was quicker ;) I was just too lazy to look up the links and I got on a roll LOL

Edited by Dodge

one day i seen this section at an old ladys house, she said she used it for traction in the winter time and i told her what i wanted it for so she gave it to me all i have done with it so far is just put it up on 2 logs and been using it like that ive always wanted to get into knife smithing and its finally working out i have a wood stove that gets pretty hot and other that that not much else but a pile of leaf springs and lawnmower blades.

sounds like your on a roll. If the rail road don't know- by all means don't tell them about your section of track. Given you have 3 feet, I think I would cut it in half and use one as Dodge suggested and the other on the top flat. Now you know we want to see pictures, right?
Have fun :D

one problem with that, only metal cutting tool's i have is a hack saw. and the only metal working tools i have is a few hammers and some vice grips. :unsure:

It's possible to cut rail with pretty simple tools (notch it and break it), but it'd probably be easier to befriend someone with a cutting torch. B)

In my zeal as a beginner, I cut through a piece of track with a hack saw... a hand-powered hack saw. If you ever try this, start from the bottom and work toward the track part.

My advice to anybody is to use what you got until you can get better. Too many folks sitting around waiting on equipment and doing nothing in the mean time. You can learn a lot about the way metal moves on a piece of track.

I also feel like you appreciate the good tools more after you have struggled a little bit with the make-do stuff first.

My $.02

Don

Get you hands on a 4 1/2 inch grinder (or larger) as the discs are cheap and the processes that you can do are varied. You will be able to dress the end of your rail, grind tools, cut stock, cut your rail (if needed), wire brush effectively, spark check, cut apart assemblies, prepare assemblies for fastening or welding, ... the list goes on.

Buy good discs to run in it, you will find they cost less in the long run because they last longer and cut faster.

Phil