I Forge Iron

Real peice of Folk art

What do you think of this peice of folk art. I got to run it at a tractor show in NY. I was afraid to run it wide open because it is 70 years old, but it seemed to handle work like a 50 lb. hammer. The crank is an old hit and miss engine and the anvils are two anvils with the horns broken off with a sledge hammer, so i am told.

post-5167-004831200 1282920269_thumb.jpg

post-5167-091188700 1282920388_thumb.jpg

post-5167-067240400 1282920467_thumb.jpg

If you are trying to make the pictures smaller, here is what I do; I hit <Ctrl>- a couple of times. After viewing the pictures I hit <Ctrl>0 (or <Ctrl>+ a couple of times) to make things back to normal again. This works on Firefox, not so sure about other browsers.

Am I the only one who finds this sort of stuff(jumping thru these resizing hoops because the picture posting capabilities are STILL broke after the much touted upgrade)a monumental PITA?

I love this site but nowhere else on the net is it this much trouble to post and view pics!
Long as I`m in full rolling whine mode,where are the blueprints?
Personally,I think Glen was robbed.
8 months and counting! <_<

Am I the only one who finds this sort of stuff(jumping thru these resizing hoops because the picture posting capabilities are STILL broke after the much touted upgrade)a monumental PITA?

I love this site but nowhere else on the net is it this much trouble to post and view pics!
Long as I`m in full rolling whine mode,where are the blueprints?
Personally,I think Glen was robbed.
8 months and counting! <_<

seconded. I'd donate money if it meant getting proffessional help to give this site a full blown tune up.

This is pretty scary to look at at first glance. Looking at it again, it's actually got some pretty darn good design and use of available material. I've seen more inefficient and impractical out on the Interwebz. The lack of adjustability, the 70 year old rubber springs, and the connector arms moving rapidly at face level are all concerning, of course. I do find it quite interesting that the tire clutch on a hammer has been around that long. That's pretty nifty.

The Hammer can be adjusted with a bit of modification, but I do not think that is in the plan with a 70 year old piece of equipment. The rubber sprigs were also a concern, but they held up well enough, we brought a spare rubber in case we had a blow out. That would have been exciting. The connecting arms were noted early on. We were working metal on it and then realized those arms were only inches (2 or 3) away from our forehead.

The belt drive to the clutch is located right next to the window, so we installed a guard to keep children’s fingers from interrupting the process.

I often thought what OSHA would think of our operation.