I Forge Iron

Setting up a new shop

So, I am setting up my first shop at this time. I have a spot out behind the house in a little clearing, and am planning on building a small-ish shop.

I dont have a ton of room, but I have a space for a Propane forge, Anvil, 6' work bench, and some racks and buckets.

This is the equipment list i've put together so far (nothing is purchased) and I was wondering what people thought about it. Specific things I am missing, or companies to avoid....

275lb Peddinghaus Anvil
Forgemaster 2000 Stainless Steel Dual Burner Double Valve (model 60000)
Heavy Hammer (6.6lb german)
3 Hammer Set (Norse Style, 2.2, 3.3, 4.4lb hammers)
Set of 10 Punches
3 pairs of Tongs
Flattener Hammer
Anvil Block for Drawing
Anti-Siezing Agent
Brushes
Safety Glass
Leather Apron
set of 10 Texturing tools
55lb leg vice
Polishing Hammer
Rounding Hammer
3 bossing Mallets

I have never done my own shop before, so any feedback or input would be greatly appreciated!

cheers

I would suggest getting some experience first, what you are getting together may not be used which is OK if you have the money to invest without worrying about it.

When you have some experience then you can decide what tools will be useful, and by that time would probably be able to make them yourself.

The money saved could be invested in attending a good basic course to give you a shove in the right direction.

Initially I would suggest;
Safety glasses, leather apron, anvil, hammer, scrolling tongs (use as fingers for manipulating hot metal and other uses) bending forks, wire brush

Then if you are purchasing tongs and punches etc, decide what work you will be doing and purchase accordingly, a shop full of tools may impress some folk, but it doesn't mean the owner can use them effectively

By the list you have put up it would seem you are considering sheet work as well.

No doubt others will give their opinions, but as a new start up situation, invest your money and efforts wisely on something useful to you now and not maybe useful somewhere down the line

Good luck with your new venture

Hi Jon,

I would start off with the minimum amount of tools you need, like John B has stated. Basics- forge, anvil, etc, doesn't have to be anything fancy! Acquire or make tools as you need them. Start working and with what you are trying to accomplish it will become apparent as to what you will actually need!

I tend to agree with John - it's difficult to tool up unless you know precisely what will be made. For example, what types of tongs would you select for your first three pair? Which texturing tools would you use, etc?

If I were starting completely from scratch, I'd get an anvil, a leg vise, a forge and a 2-3 lb hand hammer. The brushes and safety equipment are good ideas, the rest can be made.

thanks. I most likely will be starting slow.

I plan to focus a lot on Artistic works, and (in a few decades) when my skill level gets up, get into Swords and Armour.

I listed everything I could think of, because I dont know what I'll need, or what could come up... and where I am, i can't get things very quickly, so I didnt want to get halfway through something and find out I needed an "X" to finish

Are there any "brands" or recommendations for stuff I should avoid?

The joy of smithing is that you can then *make* your own X and get back to work!

What's the anti seize for? Better punch lubes out there!

Will you be forge welding?

I'd add something like an old Lincoln tombstone welder so you can make swages and other tools a lot faster than forging them down from 2" stock.

If you go to armourmaking---well most folks nowadays work cold sheetmetal and so most of that doesn't apply but you will want a B2 beverly shear and a whitney punch and a bunch of ball stakes and dishing forms and a planishing hammer and rawhide mallets, etc.

If you go to swordmaking you will need a powerhammer.

Oh, forgot to answer your questions... durrr.....

First three types of Tongs I was thinking French Wolf Jaw universal tongs, Pick up Tongs, and Round Jaw Tongs.

For Texturing, I was looking at getting the ones I felt i would use most off (leaf, Dragon Scale, Diagonal, Fishtail, CrissCross, Pebble, Wood, Scroll Edge, Cactus, Deep V)

Just for fun ;)

Here`s what my son started with;
Safety glasses
ear plugs
Gloves
leather apron he and I made for him
Brake drum forge w/old hair dryer blower we knocked together
Old,used anvil
3 pound cross peen hammer(bought at flea market for $1 and rehandled)
22 ounce ball peen hammer(bought at yard sale for $1 and rehandled)
Vise grips(yard sale)
3 sets of old tongs for $5 each(reworked to suit)
Used galvanized wash tub for slack tub(yard sale)
My spare 4" angle grinder and a handful of cut off and grinding wheels
A 2X4 bench with an old bench vise bolted to it.
A good sized hardwood stump
A whole bunch of scrap metal from the dump and my scrap pile.

Most importantly,a whole lot of help from his local blacksmithing club/guild and his old man as well as a local smith.

As he progressed he sold some of his time and work to buy what he needed and made what he could.He came along quickly and had few false starts due to the support he had from experienced smiths.
Your mind is your most valuable tool,keep it open.Open to suggestions,alternatives and instruction from those who know what they`re about.
Don`t be in a hurry to run out and spend your money,invest your time instead.

Mainely Bob had a good list as did others.

I started out with two hammers, 1.25# and 4#, and quickly put the 4 aside and got a 2 and 3.
I doubt you need 275# anvil to start, I started with 112# and after a few years moved all the way up to 163#, both old Hay-Buddin.
I have picked up old tongs of various descriptions along the way and made a few for certain uses. I make my own punches, drifts, chisels and hardy tools.
I burn coal, made my own forge but bought the smoke pipe.
Get some instruction, it is a more productive way to get your skills up.
Read a lot of books, haunt the internet(google is your friend), pick other smiths' brains.

Have fun and work smart.

Thanks Bob,

I would love to find a Master Smith to work for/learn from. I haven't had much luck in my area, but my wife is american (from maine) so I've begun looking in the united states, and outside ontario.

I've taken a couple courses, and couldnt agree more about there value. The next one will be for building my own Propane forge. (you learn and make one, then get to take it home).... it seemed like a better way to get a forge then buying one... much more educational.

Thanks Bob,

I would love to find a Master Smith to work for/learn from. I haven't had much luck in my area, but my wife is american (from maine) so I've begun looking in the united states, and outside ontario.

I've taken a couple courses, and couldnt agree more about there value. The next one will be for building my own Propane forge. (you learn and make one, then get to take it home).... it seemed like a better way to get a forge then buying one... much more educational.

The best part of taking a course where you build something and take it home is that when something goes wrong or it breaks or wears out you know how to fix it yourself. :)

Jon: Save yourself a lot of headaches and a BUNCH of money; take a couple classes, join a club and gain some experience DOing before trying to equip yourself by imagining what you're going to need.

Trying to "learn" the craft by Googling is a rather poor method unless you just like Mythinformation. And yes, I'm aware of the :"literary" connection.

Frosty the Lucky.

I agree frosty, google is full of misinformation about just about every topic under the sun. I do have *some* experience actually doing, and have taken a few classes. I plan to take more, however, where I am right now, there is no club to join, or smith to work with. Until I find one, I only have the option of going away for a weekend at a time to take classes (which I am doing) and that requires a day off work so I can only do it every so often.

Other then that, I could move, which I am willing to do, but not until I find someone/a group who I can work with, and learn from. (seems silly to move, then look, when with the internet I can look and then move and KNOW where im going is the right place)

Basically, right now, I just want to continue practicing, learning, and improving. And to do that, I need to set up my own shop (since there isnt one I have found in Barrie/Orillia that I can work at)

Cheers,
jon

Where are you taking classes from?
If your going for a propane forge, I would suggest going and making one with David Robertson. I made one with him that I have been using for over a year now. It runs great and gets to welding temps without a problem. If you check out his site he recently put up a video making a damascus billet.
He also does weekend courses, in which you would learn useful things like making punches, tongs, etc.
Good luck with setting up your shop.

*Just saw that you already said that you were going for a class to make your own forge.

I will be taking the ones with Mr. Robinson, Making my own forge. I'm glad to know its worth while.

So far, all my classes have been with my mums friend Jimmi, who doesnt normally teach.... but he was willing to teach me a few things. I have seen a few of his vids, but havent seen the billet yet. I'll go check it out.

Jon:

I live in a rather isolated part of the continent myself and know how hard it can be to find someone to learn from. Happily that's beginning to change but we're still pretty out of the way. It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on how to go about learning the craft, just try not to think you have to have the "RIGHT" tool for any given job. The best field expedient anvil I ever used was some kind of large vehicle axle I buried flange up. I've used split greenwood sticks for tongs and once on a bet made a hammer from a smooth rock on a stick and the anvil from a smooth boulder.

All the best to you on your journey. We'll be here and pullin for ya.

Frosty the Lucky.