I Forge Iron

Manliest way to forge

Over on http://www,metalmeet.com there were a couple of jackhammers mounted as stationary planishing hammers and then there were also some scaling hammers set up the same way. Now some of the scaling hammer ones looked pretty good the way they were set up with foot pedals and all. :blink:

xxxx, go figure, I figured with their design of a floating slug would make 'em not so swell for that.

Not to steer away from heath issues and jack hammer mounts but........ getting back to the load of pictures that were linked up above (like 600+ photos) the face in the heavy plate was - I thought very impressive. I would like to know how many hours it took to do from start to finish. Also I noticed in 1 of the pics a chainsaw is being started or at least held..... Is theis the new status quo for "HOT FILING" LOL just checking - If so, I love it!!! THanks for posting the link to the photos, that blacksmithing event looks like it was wonderfull. - JK

post-280-075733300 1283382913_thumb.jpg

I don't have any names or links in mind but jack hammer repousse and chasing has been around quite a while.

I didn't look through all the pics so missed the chainsaw. If it has a composition (hot saw) blade it'll make short work of all but the heaviest steel and carbide tip chains don't have any trouble with lighter gages, say 1/4" and under though it takes quite a touch to cut 1/4" plate with a chainsaw.

Also, there are a LOT of really nifty power tools that have been adapted or made for a chainsaw drive, I have a chainsaw winch and I've seen some pretty cool home made improvisations including well drilling rigs, snow blowers,bark peelers, pumps one darned near complete with all the goodies wood shop.

Something I always thought would be fun was modify the chain so it'd grab and use it to make a runner sled go fast on frozen lakes. A back pack airboat would be cool too.

Frosty the Lucky.

I would like to know how many hours it took to do from start to finish. Also I noticed in 1 of the pics a chainsaw is being started or at least held.

I didn't see the whole demo, but it was somewhere around three hours. The chainsaw was used to modify the stump there were forging on.