I Forge Iron

Anyang 33 Photos

Yeh it does! Yours is homebuilt? Pictures please :D

No, it's not a homebuilt (I don't have the creativity or skill to pull that off), but rather one of the common Canadian clones, probably built by Jardine. I believer they built hammers that were branded Western Giant, Canadian Giant, Acklands, as well as Jardine. Potentially they built other hammers too.

I think that mine is an early one. My clutch has no lining (steel on steel). Can any of the LG experts here verify if early LG's had a steel on steel clutch too?

post-4446-071819600 1282189293_thumb.jpgpost-4446-067024400 1282189422_thumb.jpg

I believe the 116 is the serial number.

Thanks guys! I love it it is fun EVERY time I use it.

David, it is my personal hammer, I have a complete shop of my own. Before I came to work for southshore I gave it a go of running my own shop, before I had the powerhammer, it failed miserably as I was young and didn't know what I was doing(only had a forge and anvil). I got a dayjob as a salesman for a big industrial supply company after the business failed to both pay off my debt and get smart about getting the equipment I needed to make a serious go of it. I made swords and knives in my spare time and a set of matched swords for a client plus some other money allowed me to buy it. I will someday make a more educated and planned out triumphant return to my home shop! But now I am lucky to get in there one weekend a month as it's 3 hours away.

Use your time with SouthShore to good effect. Not so much for learning metal stuff but HOOVER up every scrap of information re running a business, getting work, costing etc.

I taugtht myself both metalwork and running my business. Both took a LONG time (and I've still got LOTS to learn), most things learn't were usually preceded by a mistake. If I could rewind the clock I would have spent a few years working for someone good at running a business as well as good at metals. Mistakes are great learning vehicles but not the best way of earning a living. My attitude with earning a living is putting food on your table comes first, "being a blacksmith" is much lower down the scale, as is purism. Productivity is everything, even with totally bespoke work. Powerhammers of any size ROCK.

COOL hammer Mark! It always amazes me how many different LG clones there were!

David, 10-4 on everything you said. I have absorbed some very good fundamental things about business from working there.

Hey Peter! Yes it is perfect size for me, it does everything I have so far needed to do with it. Next time I am up to my own shop i'll be welding some billets up with it for the first time.

Senft, I have not run many LGs, but have run a 50 and 25 in excellent working order, it hits harder than the 25, slightly less than a 50 but the control compared to the LGs was not even close. Maybe If I ran either of those individual hammers for a couple months i'd be able to eek out the same control but not right out of the box Like I did with the Anyang. Personally, if given the choice of fresh out the box LG25, 33 Anyang or LG50, i'd choose em all cause I would own every hammer ever made if I could :D

John Larson's IK 50 Hit harder and has the clockwork control of the utility hammers and is the epitome of what a 50 pound hammer should be. I'd be curious to run the new 55 Anyang to see how it compares. John is a friend of mine and builds the best utility hammer made.

bottom line, it hits harder than the LG25 (harder then the 2 I have run) slightly less than the LG50 (the one I ran) but has more control than either (of the 3 I have run). The IronKiss hits harder, control is better (which is not to say the Anyang has poor control, it has great control) because it's a utility hammer they do that (and it's built by John). It is a self contained though so no compressor, and being I barely could afford to buy a hammer not having to buy anything else was a plus. In the future I hope I make good enough money to buy one of John's hammer's also as the large throat and everything else about his hammer is nice, and it will complement my anyang nicely, and I want to work BIG stuff! But then i'd also like the big 165 anyang too, and build some of my own and.............

How does that thing hit (full throttle) compared to something like a 50lb utility hammer or a 50lb LG?

It's a bit hard to compare (I've owned a 50 lb little giant and this hammer). With the anyang the dies are way smaller and you are giving up a lot of throat. Thats the bad. The air hammer is cycling much faster and the control is so much better (please don't flame me mechanical hammer guys). If you were to race them, say putting 10 long tapers on 10 pieces of 3/4 square it would be tough to pick a winner, but I guarantee that the anyang puts out much better looking work.

It's a bit hard to compare (I've owned a 50 lb little giant and this hammer). With the anyang the dies are way smaller and you are giving up a lot of throat. Thats the bad. The air hammer is cycling much faster and the control is so much better (please don't flame me mechanical hammer guys). If you were to race them, say putting 10 long tapers on 10 pieces of 3/4 square it would be tough to pick a winner, but I guarantee that the anyang puts out much better looking work.

Where is the pic of your pink 33 Nuge?

I've an Anyang 40kg (88lb) and it's a superb machine. Five years of totally trouble free operation so far. I got it when the £ to $ was good (paid £3000 as opposed to £4500) and it's paid for it'sself MANY times over. Even at todays prices I think they'd still pay for themselves very quickly. I did semi seriously think of getting a 15kg (33lb) as well but since I've already got a Kinyon that would be 3 different types of dies so I built another Kinyon (ish) hammer.

Having seen a 33 at John N's workshop I think they are great tools, especially so given the small footprint. I'd imagine they are great for bladesmiths and good for hobbyists because they're single phase. I know a lot of people are down on Chinese and I was VERY unsure at first but there's absolutely no American or European company making one this size (that I know of) , and as the 33 shows, there's a market for them

Thanks for thoughts. I currently have a 50LG that works OK but am frustrated trying to get fine control with it, it seems very moody even though it's it's in great shape. Still fooling with getting a brake that works well. Works extremely well when everything's in perfect adjustment but change stock much or try to use tooling and it's all whacked out again- requiring more fooling with. Was curious how 33 compares although I know it's comparing apples and oranges. Just looking for things to consider if funds ever permit. Also considering a utility hammer build as have full machine shop. Amount of time I spent rebuilding the LG had to be very close to building a nice utility from scratch!