I Forge Iron

Damascus Dagger

j.w.s.

Here's a dagger I finished up this afternoon - This was done with pieces from my scrap bucket, drawn out and than twisted into a 1 1/5" bar, o1 + 4130 + misc mild carbon (just a small amount for contrast). Seems to have hardened well but the temper could have been tweaked a little better - still experimenting with the combination since 01 and 4130 have similar hardening temps but vastly different tempering temps. Maple handle and rough forged guard / pommel. Entire knife is peened together. Blade is 8 1/4" - overall 12 3/4". I'll take more pictures if I get a chance after I make the sheath. I still have to add touchmark and file the edges deeper.

- J

post-7730-006201100 1281505299_thumb.jpg

Hey j.w.s.

Normally I try to give constructive critisim, because I believe it's a good way to learn. I've run into a problem with this dagger of yours though: I can't come up with anything negative about this dagger. I love the damascus pattern, shape, rough forged guard and pommel and dark wooden handle! It seems like all pieces are meant to be together.
I'd be interested in more pictures when you have em.

Keep up the good work!

NN4N