I Forge Iron

what type, brand, of anvil is this?

Mid to late 1800's Mousehole, or another English clone. Feel under the horn, if it has a ridge on the bottom, 95% positive Mousehole.

Your photo looks like it was taken with a phone: too far away, too lo-res to make out any useful detail.

Lay it on the side and sprinkle talcum powder, then gently blow or brush it off high spots to reveal letter stamps. For cast anvils, rub chalk on high spots. Easier to read and photograph markings that way, does no harm.

Even though there is a chunk missing off the heel it looks to be a long way from the "boat anchor" stage. It still looks to have a lot of use left in it, the hard face looks to be plenty thick to for years of happy forging. I forged for ten or so years on an anvil with a broken hard face. Since this one has the face broken I wouldn't be hesitant to do a little bit of clean up on it, usually I don't recommend it but here we can see just how thick the face is. I would take a wire brush to the whole thing and clean it up looking for other cracks and while you're doing that you may find the manufacturers name too. It should do you fine for another fifty years or so, happy forging. <_<