I Forge Iron

Blade shape naming convention

jsurgeson

Yeah saw that thanks, however what I am really looking for is a little more than just "blade shape"
classification, and more along the lines of a detailed classification of what makes a hunter a
hunter, and what makes a dagger and dagger, as well as the then multitude of "blade shapes" that
would then fall under each category, for example:

Hunter -> Clip Point / Drop Pointer / Skinner / Bird & Trout etc
Tactical ->
Utility ->
Camp ->

Along with spec of what makes each of those fall into each category

I am amazed to see that the national & international bladesmith/knife type associations do not make
any recommendations/specification as to what would make a Bowie a Bowie or any other for that matter.

Actually to me, finding a solid source of what makes a hunter a hunter, or some fine details as how thay achieve that name is like trying to describe a color. I have not seen any set rules that describe what makes a knife a particular style. As you have found out there are some examples of that makes a drop point, as well as what makes a cllip point or a trailing point. However there is not reference that I know of that tells us what defines a hunter, or a bird and trout. and each of those two may have a clip point, drop point or trailing point blade shape. As to what makes a bowie it is all based on history without example. No one knows what the original looked like. There is however a shape size and style prevalent in the industry that a lot of us would call a bowie if asked to describe one of them.
I kind of like it this way. I am a maker and within a few generalities I may call one of my knives a hunter based more or less on what I feel would be the best use for how I designed and crafted it. I may also make an exact copy and put an all weather handle on it and finish the blade and handle so they do not reflect light and then call it a tactical knife.
Thinking this over I find that this is one of the reasons I really enjoy making knives. I have latitude and not specifications to deal with.
Keep in mind however that if I label something a hunter and a potential buyer does not feel that it fits into that category at all then I may not only have lost that sale but my credibility may suffer as word gets out.

Hmmm, I can kinda see how I may have asked "how long a piece of string is"

And in hindsight, and due to the lack of response, I suppose it is either
an unanswerable question, or maybe no ones ever given it much thought.

Will have to ponder this a while :)

Thanks anyway

I asked this very question on another knifemaking forum and the replies were astounding. Most people are convinced that 1) such an idea would never work, 2) they didn't want a 'standard' to limit what they call their blades and 3)it would be too hard.

I've seen knives called 'Bowie' that resemble ordinary Chef's knives, Skinners that resemble paring knives etc. etc.

There should be a standard as with most products that are bought and sold to clearl identify the product. There can be individual variations but starting with a general consensus makes sense to me.

Not as tough to get people to generally agree but way too much work for me to undertake such a project!

Well I don't get hung up on names for different blades myself. There are very few that I would consider to be specific; Kris and Kukri/Khukri come to mind, as they have VERY distinctive shapes. Bowies are all over the place in size, and shape. As for me I don't care what it is "supposed" to be named. If I like the shape, and it does what I want it to than it is a good KNIFE. I consider knives to be tools, nothing more. If I buy a knife it is getting used, if it is too pretty/collectible to use, I really don't want it.

I feel the same way about my cars, and firearms. No fun looking at them, the fun is in using them. I am sure that my friends and I make some folks cringe when we go shoot some of the guns we own; early SAA's, Winchester Hotchkiss muskets, Lugers, Broomhandles, and others that are in great condition. Bought to use, not sit on a shelf.

Well I personally like to avoid "cans of worms" as the resulting dissusions are more
often that not pointless. And I should have been a bit more careful and qualified my
original question properly.

This was in no way a call to "control, restrict, force" the naming of blades, shapes or
anything else.

I was looking for advice with regards website "knife image gallery categories", and was
looking for the most "generally accepted, commonly used, broad based" categories names
for listing "different knife types" and the best way to determine what knife should go
into what category.

So let me ask again, with care!

Can anyone give me there personal preference with regards how they categorize their own
knives for inclusion under website gallery categories.

For example, what do you regard as "utility" is it only chef/kitchen/eating or does it
include general campsite blades like machete, axe etc. "Hunters" does it include
"Bird & Trout" or do you put them under "Field & Dress" etc etc

Please again this is not a call to a debate on what is right and what is wrong, I just wanted
to hear other knife makers personal opinion's and how they determine this so that I can learn
from them.

Regards
Jeff

I'm not a knife maker myself, but I've got a copy of "The complete encyclopedia of Knives" by A E Hartink.
It is not very complete in itself, since it mostly ignore kitchen knives and only describe fancier handmade knives.

I've written a short summary of all the types he describe, but once you start reading on all the makers knives it seems that there is only one convention, the maker describe the knife any way he want to.

This book's types of knife are as follows:

Bayonet: self explanatory
Boot knife or dirk: Short blade with two cutting edges and point in line
Dagger: long blade with two cutting edges and a point in line
Dagger-knife: two sharp adges and a point not in line
Hunting or sheath knife: fixed blade with one or two cutting edges
Combat/military knives: usually dagger or dagger/knife, sometime with a saw edge
Folding or pocket knife: self explanatory
Survival knife: think Rambo
Scout knife: basically the same as sheath knife, just shorter.
Stiletto of flick knife: folding knife with spring loaded blade flipping out sideways
Push dagger: blade at right angle to the hilt
Spring-loaded knife: Blade shoots forward
Butterfly knife: opening handle
Throwing knife: like dagger with a blade heavier than the handle

And then for blade shapes he uses the following:
Clipped blades- curved tip, think bowie
-californian clip
- turkish clip
-standard clip
Drop point
scandinavian blade
Sheep's foot blade