I Forge Iron

Arc Welder

After months of looking for a decent welder, I think I have found a winner. Have any of you used this type? It seems to be exactly what I want. However, sheet specs and customer reviews are not always reliable.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Power-Tools-Welding-Welding-Machines-Arc-Stick-Welders/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg1Zbnvt/R-100041326/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053#BVRRWidgetID

Those are on Craigslist all the time for $100 or less.

It is an AC only machine which may limit you some, and it is not nearly the same machine the older units were. The new ones use aluminum coils instead of copper. It is a buzzbox and therefore near indestructible

Phil.

It is not nearly all it could be, especialy for that much money. Don't get me wrong, I like Lincoln, most of my welders are lincoln. That machine though, is their bottom of the line...AC only, 20% duty cycle, aluminum windings (the older version had copper windings. For the same money or a little less, you should be able to find used an Ideal Arc 250 (lincoln), AC/DC, much higher duty cycle, and with the available Hi-Freq adapter, also a good TIG machine. The little buzz box you linked to is not very versatile.

Well you will be limited with that type of welder, yes I have used similar welders. The problem I see with that machine is that it is ac only which is not the best current to weld with. You would be better off getting a machine that has dc capabilities, watch craigslist for used ones. I picked up one of these ac machines for 25 bucks at a yard sale, just like the homie dpot one you are looking at, I gave it to my brother, they are better than nothing but if you are going to buy one I recommend a dc machine. Look for one of these, this is one of my welders that I would like to sell but the market is too soft now. These welders are very heavy two guys can not pick it up, and they run forever. The second picture is the control lever to go from ac to dc current
post-10376-037460700 1280673924_thumb.jppost-10376-061634200 1280673930_thumb.jp

I would definitely recommend A DC welder, my first welder was this Miller Thunderbolt, the 225/150 AC/DC. And i can tell you that i would weld for hours with this thing. A really good machine for what it is. I'm sure that the Lincoln AC/DC equivalent model is just as good as the miller, but the miller has done great for me, and i was 17 at the time i got it and i would weld at least a few pounds of rods every day for a few years with it. Ive sense moved up to a dynasty for the tig capability's. But with a tig torch and argon bottle you can scratch start tig with those little AC/DC machines - Tig on DC only. I use to go a little bit of tig welding with my thunderbolt.

So I recommend AC/DC Miller or Lincoln

Heres the thunderbolt
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/stick/thunderbolt_xl_ac_dc/

Well you will be limited with that type of welder, yes I have used similar welders. The problem I see with that machine is that it is ac only which is not the best current to weld with. You would be better off getting a machine that has dc capabilities, watch craigslist for used ones. I picked up one of these ac machines for 25 bucks at a yard sale, just like the homie dpot one you are looking at, I gave it to my brother, they are better than nothing but if you are going to buy one I recommend a dc machine. Look for one of these, this is one of my welders that I would like to sell but the market is too soft now. These welders are very heavy two guys can not pick it up, and they run forever. The second picture is the control lever to go from ac to dc current
post-10376-037460700 1280673924_thumb.jppost-10376-061634200 1280673930_thumb.jp

This is the one you want, if you can find one. They usualy run from about 300-600 dollars used. They last FOREVER, no matter how you abuse them. They were the industry standard for many decades, and are still to be found in a great many shops. The one you linked to, while certainly a better deal than the Home Despot version, is still just a toy compared to the one Clinton posted, the same one I recomended, the Ideal Arc AC/DC. Yes, the 225 will work, but if you are serious enough to spend $450 on a stick welder, you will shortly tire of the 20% duty cycle of the aluminum wound wonder.

I would definitely recommend A DC welder, my first welder was this Miller Thunderbolt, the 225/150 AC/DC. And i can tell you that i would weld for hours with this thing. A really good machine for what it is. I'm sure that the Lincoln AC/DC equivalent model is just as good as the miller, but the miller has done great for me, and i was 17 at the time i got it and i would weld at least a few pounds of rods every day for a few years with it. Ive sense moved up to a dynasty for the tig capability's. But with a tig torch and argon bottle you can scratch start tig with those little AC/DC machines - Tig on DC only. I use to go a little bit of tig welding with my thunderbolt.

So I recommend AC/DC Miller or Lincoln

Heres the thunderbolt
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/stick/thunderbolt_xl_ac_dc/

I would like to add to this. The 225amp Lincoln machine has fixed amperage settings and does not allow for fine adjustment. This is a big plus for diffent types of welding you might want to do, exspecially if you want to try your hand with TIG.

Take your time and shop craigslist for a miller thunderbolt AC/DC, the second lincoln machine you linked or the Hobart stickmate AC/DC

http://www.northernt...t_384175_384175

(Hobart is owned by Miller now, basically the same machine as the Thunderbolt)

Have cash ready, these AC/DC machines stay on the market for less than a day typically.

If you are set on buying new, go to your local commercial welding supply store. You will get a better answer and likely a better machine. You will also get better support if anything goes wrong.

Phil

Have you tried or thought of a wire feed machine?

Do you have a place where you live that you can rent a wire feed and and arc machine? if you do I would say try that first. Most welding I do now is wire feed, but then it is big stuff and it is metal core wire. thats just my thoughts for you.

DennisG has a good point. Wire feed puts down more pounds per pound of material (up to 98% vs up to 50% for stick) Larger machines can run a good variety of material, both flux core and gas shield. Smaller machines work very well on 15A circuits.

My Dad has a Hobart 140, my brother has been using it the last few years to rebuild bays at the oil change place he works. He has run HUNDREDS of pounds of flux core through it. The machine runs on 15A.

Phil

Have you tried or thought of a wire feed machine?

Do you have a place where you live that you can rent a wire feed and and arc machine? if you do I would say try that first. Most welding I do now is wire feed, but then it is big stuff and it is metal core wire. thats just my thoughts for you.

Hi Dennis, yes, I have used wire feed and I am a fan. However, the price shoots up a good bit for one and I am tired of sleeping on the couch so I need to get the addition to the house done.

• 2 weeks later...

my 2cents you want a Dc/ac welder then you are not limited by the sticks you can weld and you made a good choice with the power requrement you want a machine that runs on 208/240 you can plug it into your dryer when you are not doing laundry http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=lincoln+welders&rlz=1W1GGLL_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=9299636427287940386&ei=1jdjTIroBYL58AbAjZncCg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=image&resnum=6&ved=0CDUQ8gIwBQ# you will not out grow it. yes its more but once you are good at welding it will pay for itself and give years of service hope this helps

my 2cents you want a Dc/ac welder then you are not limited by the sticks you can weld and you made a good choice with the power requrement you want a machine that runs on 208/240 you can plug it into your dryer when you are not doing laundry http://www.google.co...ved=0CDUQ8gIwBQ# you will not out grow it. yes its more but once you are good at welding it will pay for itself and give years of service hope this helps

but do not just plug in to a dryer unless you have checked to see if it can handle the amps.

Lincoln has a pretty good reputation in particular they are somewhat famous for the buzzbox that you are considering. I know allot of people that use that machine for repair work on the farm and similar work.

If you are doing any serious welding though you may want to consider a small MIG machine. A little more money but I find them easier to use and faster (no chipping).

Scott
Fab Manager
Welders360.com