I Forge Iron

Shaping Bar?

If you like that sort of thing then go down to the nearest boatyard and ask about short pieces of rub rail.They were use on many different types of commercial boats and when drilled and plug welded to the edge of a forming bench do come in quite handy when forming sheetmetal,plate,wider work and such.
You can also just dog them down to your platten(Acorn table)and use them that way too.
We used to keep a few widths and different radius pieces around the shop and used them often for both hot and cold work.Had to keep the tin knockers from running off with them though.That`s when we started welding them to the benches. B)

If you like that sort of thing then go down to the nearest boatyard and ask about short pieces of rub rail.They were use on many different types of commercial boats and when drilled and plug welded to the edge of a forming bench do come in quite handy when forming sheetmetal,plate,wider work and such.
You can also just dog them down to your platten(Acorn table)and use them that way too.
We used to keep a few widths and different radius pieces around the shop and used them often for both hot and cold work.Had to keep the tin knockers from running off with them though.That`s when we started welding them to the benches. B)

I think I once saw something similar at an auction. They were like big "stakes", maybe 4" wide with a D shaped cross section, about 3 to 6 foot long. I still kick myself for not getting them cos they looked real useful. If the ebay ones were a little nearer I'd bid for one. That would be yet another reason for me to get a "dogging" table. Dogging over here also has another meaning.

I think I once saw something similar at an auction. They were like big "stakes", maybe 4" wide with a D shaped cross section, about 3 to 6 foot long. I still kick myself for not getting them cos they looked real useful. If the ebay ones were a little nearer I'd bid for one. That would be yet another reason for me to get a "dogging" table. Dogging over here also has another meaning.

The angled hold downs are called bench dogs in my neck of the woods and using them to hold something firmly to a platten is refered to as dogging it to the table.
Dogging also has a different meaning in the urban areas around the US.In the city the homeboys/gangbangers spell it dawg though,as in "Yo,dawg".

A "Blacksmiths shaping bar" was a largish chunk of iron that could still be hefted by the master smith. It usualy had some sort of protective handle or wrap to protect the blacksmith under heavy use. Its primary purpose was to "shape" the apprentice by applying blows to the lower back or legs when the young lad left the morning coffee on the forge to long or failed to toss the "pot de chambre" and it was fouling up the place...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-BLACKSMITHS-SHAPING-BAR-/110564403606?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item19be26e996

Definately more of a sheet metal worker's 'anvil', great for closing up seams on pipe you've just rolled or boxed up.
Ones i've seen have a tee slot running the length of the underside. Pop in a couple of bolts which go thru your bench. You can adjust the amount of this 'anvils' over-hang to suit the job. I've forgotton the proper name for it, stay tuned...
AndrewOC

A "Blacksmiths shaping bar" was a largish chunk of iron that could still be hefted by the master smith. It usualy had some sort of protective handle or wrap to protect the blacksmith under heavy use. Its primary purpose was to "shape" the apprentice by applying blows to the lower back or legs when the young lad left the morning coffee on the forge to long or failed to toss the "pot de chambre" and it was fouling up the place...

My Grand Father used a piece of 1/4 inc round to keep my attention. It was a VERY useful "seat of learning."

I find that the skillful use of tongs not only works while handling hot women they also are hard to ignore when firmly attached to an apprentice`s nose or ear.
Wonderfully effective "teaching aid",encourages quick assimilation of knowledge.Leaves less tell tale marks than Mole/vise grips.Wouldn`t want the general public to think the lad was a slow learner. <_<

My dad used an old car antenna,compact yet quickly deployed to extended reach mode.Just the right amount of "whip" too,something Grant would appreciate I`m sure.
I believe he used a bit of the old hickory switch that he broke(I have 3 brothers)for a handle.Stickler for tradition,that was my dad.

I find that the skillful use of tongs not only works while handling hot women they also are hard to ignore when firmly attached to an apprentice`s nose or ear.
Wonderfully effective "teaching aid",encourages quick assimilation of knowledge.Leaves less tell tale marks than Mole/vise grips.Wouldn`t want the general public to think the lad was a slow learner. <_<

My dad used an old car antenna,compact yet quickly deployed to extended reach mode.Just the right amount of "whip" too,something Grant would appreciate I`m sure.
I believe he used a bit of the old hickory switch that he broke(I have 3 brothers)for a handle.Stickler for tradition,that was my dad.

Sounds slightly more pleasant than the 3 foot long 3 inch wide, 1/2 inch thick plexi-paddle my dad had. Last I saw it he cut part of the end off to re-use the plastic for something.

Phil

Kidderminster is only about 30 miles from me, if you need one collected... The chap with three looks like a dealer.