I Forge Iron

Questionable fisher?

what do you all think of this anvil. craigslist fisher - post has been deleted by craigslist
First off im not buying this but want to see if im way off base here or not. looks to me like its had alot of repair work. The face looks convex, has that suspicious black line on it...not to mention no straight on photo of face. Also the side of the table near horn looks weird to me. so what do you think... fishy fisher?

Its the real deal. No dead or fake Fish here. It is an 80 lb anvil, with the uncommon Fisher trademark above the base. It is hard to tell if any repair work has been done without seeing it and removing the black paint. But from the pictures, it looks like a nice anvil. The only questionable thing is the cresent shape crack?? or something on the face. Again, one would have to see it and check it out to know what that is. All my opinion from the three photos.

Don't you just hate it when they go to spraying painting stuff so you can't get a good read on what condition it's in? It makes it hard to tell if they used Bondo to fill in cracks, chips or maybe a whole foot broken off, I wish they'd leave it either cleaned off or in the raw rusty condition so one can see what's going on. :blink:

Let's see, what little sayings fit.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck....
If it is supposed to smell like a fish, but smells like a garbage can....

I am no expert, but I see suspicious lines and demarcations. It looks like a scam anvil, one hit and it will crumble.
My opinion only. I am a suspicious person by nature.

Looks to me like a Fisher that was *heavily* cleaned at some point washing out some of the lines. It is still in good using state; however the face issue means that this would be more a $1 a pound anvil not a $4 a pound---you don't pay top dollar for an anvil with a damaged face!