I Forge Iron

Followed me home

Got a call from a friend asking if I wanted a very heavy press frame with the gibs and block but no screw. I jumped in the truck and drove over to see it.
Very big and HEAVY. I think it is in the order of 1000-1200 lbs. My F 150 squatted when we set it in and it didn't move around at all coming home :)Couldn't let it go to scrap so now I need to figure out what to do with it. I have a flypress already so maybe a start for a power hammer design. Confined by the sides but still could do a lot of work for specific tasks.
What would you do with it?

Dick

post-6796-016846200 1279505372_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm going to go with hydraulic on this frame. I don't know what the rated strength was as a fly press but I think it can take 25 ton of force without any problem. I've called around locally for a used cylinder but haven't had any luck. Before I go to Northern Tool etc. I thought I'd ask if anyone has a 6" diameter 8-10" stroke cylinder they want to sell. Like it to have an 1 1/2" diameter ram or larger.Cylinder could be larger I'll just throttle down the pressure.If it needs seals I can do that work too.
Thanks for any help you can provide,

Dick