I Forge Iron

Help with Identification

post-14397-029977300 1279079798_thumb.jp post-14397-088730300 1279078558_thumb.jppost-14397-043349600 1279078826_thumb.jppost-14397-064207400 1279078926_thumb.jp Looking for help on IDing my anvil, it weighs probably about 220lbs, thats a guess i can pick it up but barely and not very often. It has the markings A 362 67 on the front foot, looks like 0 9 0 on one side and 2 5 on the other. wondering approximate value, make etc............. any info would be appreciated and helpful. I will try to upload pics. Thanks

post-14397-088997600 1279079486_thumb.jp

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI!
Without pictures it's kinda hard to tell but from the serial #A 362 67 it's most likely a "Hay Budden", made in 1921. This is an American made anvil and is one of the most highly sought after anvils today...I'm not including the brand spankin' new ones here guys!:P Facing the anvil with the horn to your right you should be able to see the name Hay Budden on top, Manufacturing Co. in the middle, and Brooklyn NY on the bottom. The weight will be stamped under Brooklyn NY. All of this is located a couple of inches or so below the face of the anvil. You have an excellent anvil! I have 2 HBs, the 185#er is my primary anvil and the 105#er is my traveling anvil for demonstrations. Won't take for either of them.

Where are you located? You can update your profile with your location and this will help us help you better by giving you some heads up on other toys...er, I mean TOOLS in your area. If you are close to me give me a shout, my shop is always open to fellow smiths. Once again, welcome.

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI!
Without pictures it's kinda hard to tell but from the serial #A 362 67 it's most likely a "Hay Budden", made in 1921. This is an American made anvil and is one of the most highly sought after anvils today...I'm not including the brand spankin' new ones here guys!:P Facing the anvil with the horn to your right you should be able to see the name Hay Budden on top, Manufacturing Co. in the middle, and Brooklyn NY on the bottom. The weight will be stamped under Brooklyn NY. All of this is located a couple of inches or so below the face of the anvil. You have an excellent anvil! I have 2 HBs, the 185#er is my primary anvil and the 105#er is my traveling anvil for demonstrations. Won't take for either of them.

Where are you located? You can update your profile with your location and this will help us help you better by giving you some heads up on other toys...er, I mean TOOLS in your area. If you are close to me give me a shout, my shop is always open to fellow smiths. Once again, welcome.

Hey thanks a lot Thomas, I added some pics they are huge, but it might help give an Idea. I would really like to know a roud about price range. I am actually in Wa state, wish I were in east Texas biggrin.gif Other than the numbers I mentioned I see no other writing. thanks again

Price is pretty subjective, depending on your location more than any other factor. I gave $2.05 per/Lb for mine, that included a 10% buyer's premium (estate auction) and 6.25% sales tax. $3.00 p/lb would not be unreasonable for this anvil, IMO. I was born in Seattle...a few yrs ago I might add. Spent some wonderful time up there. My grandparents had property on Cameno Is and we would stay there during the summer.

Thanks to all for the responses, I have it listed on craigs list, and was contacted by a previous owner who sold this anvil to the shop I bought it from said it is indeed hay budden 250lbs. am Asking $600.00 he seems eager to buy it back at that price. thanks again.

Please note everyone: a picture of the face of the anvil gives little clue as to the maker but a picture of the bottom of the anvil may give a definitive answer as to the maker.

Thomas , How many anvils have a 3 digit # on each side? As far as I can find only H-B used the #s oppsite the logo
Tool steel batch #. I have a 142 lb marked like that.
Ken.

Thomas , How many anvils have a 3 digit # on each side? As far as I can find only H-B used the #s oppsite the logo
Tool steel batch #. I have a 142 lb marked like that.
Ken.

Also, how many makers prefix the serial # with the letter "A"? I also stated in my first post "Without pictures it's kinda hard to tell but...."

Also, how many makers prefix the serial # with the letter "A"? I also stated in my first post "Without pictures it's kinda hard to tell but...."

Sold it for $600, thanks agian for all the helpfull info, hated to part with it but, I know it is in good hands.

Folks if you read my post you notice I wrote it in GENERAL and not just about that one anvil.

How many anvils will we be asked to identify in the future that *don't* have those specific features? For those the bottom shot *may* be what gives a good clue to the identity. I have a 410# anvil that was abused at a copper mine and the only clue left was the indentation on the underside.