I Forge Iron

Lamp

Bryce Masuk

I havent gotten much done on this I was thinking of building the lampshade

but instead I am going to buy one, a nice one though or as nice as I can afford at least

with something like this I cant preemptively decide how things should be I have to develop the little pieces and play with it until its what I want

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bryce, that's what make some projects fun and special. You don't know where you are really going with it until you just happen to get there. Looks like you're doing a good job on it. Don't forget to post the pix of the completed lamp. Thanks for sharing that. :)

I finished it awhile ago

I dont have a computer really anymore or television,

I spend more time with hammer and pencil, I make alot of stuff but dont sell much usually I just give it away
like this lamp
and the stand
and the cross

the gate wont be free though lol

I am working on a winerack with alot of offsets right now
the neck of the bottle goes into a 1 1/2 flatbar slit and drifted to 1 3/8 inch

its pretty medevil, hopefully soon i can get a computer again but i am not rushed I plan on heading stateside soon for as long as i can until i am broke

Ciao, Bryce

post-3202-079437900 1285553326_thumb.jpg

post-3202-068681100 1285553334_thumb.jpg

post-3202-024388900 1285553341_thumb.jpg

post-3202-018359700 1285553347_thumb.jpg

post-3202-007763500 1285553369_thumb.jpg

post-3202-045404900 1285553378_thumb.jpg

post-3202-064437900 1285553389_thumb.jpg

post-3202-006178200 1285553429_thumb.jpg

Hi Bryce, Nice work,

In picture 5 of the lamp base where the wire enters the body, do you have any grommets or protection to prevent the wire/flex chafing through and shorting out the electric?

In the UK it is mandatory to have a cable securing method, and protection to stop chafing where wires enter or are attached to the workpiece,

Crank it out Bryce! Lookin good, The cross looks clean and the scrolls are well made. The lamp show a good sense of composition but the way its attach to the base didn't look thought out. You can tack stuff together to get a look at it but you may want to consider drilling and taping or through holes with plug welds.

Hi Bryce, Nice work,

In picture 5 of the lamp base where the wire enters the body, do you have any grommets or protection to prevent the wire/flex chafing through and shorting out the electric?

In the UK it is mandatory to have a cable securing method, and protection to stop chafing where wires enter or are attached to the workpiece,
[/quote

your right john the pipe it goes into is quite a bit larger but its not secured
i havent given it away yet so i can fix that up

Wow, I love the fern... time very well spent I would say!! It's the detail that turns things from ordinary to extraordinary!! Love it, keep up the good work!

the fern was way way nicer though I liked it before I fell on top of it when it was welded together and bent and broke it, at some point when stuff is free i really just have to finish the project and begin the next or finishing the next.

Crank it out Bryce! Lookin good, The cross looks clean and the scrolls are well made. The lamp show a good sense of composition but the way its attach to the base didn't look thought out. You can tack stuff together to get a look at it but you may want to consider drilling and taping or through holes with plug welds.

at some point I was thinking the same thing I guess inpatience got the better of me i was thinking I could grind/polish the welds

I would have needed at 1/4 inch angle grinder or the right abrasives for a die grinder to do it though

to be honest I really had no drawing or idea's I just started making parts at one point and some were added to the lamp some not, I vaguely pictured it in my head at the anvil and just started pounding it out.

usually I am unhappy with what I make in a few ways hopefully I will become better I am really hoping to journey the states but I might do ontario first because I can legally work there and down south I work for food and maybe shelter

I really want to do craftsman style work and learn how to be really accurate and make elaborate symetrical stuff with jigs and eventually come back to more free flowing alive natural stuff later on once I have good skills at that.

I am hoping to be making that big gate for a customer its more of a fab job than anything but the customer wanted that design and really that is the most productive way to build that gate for sure.

the blacksmithing lifestyle really seems to me to be a juggling act of sorts I really dont know where I am going... I am just chasing the phoenix so to speak
I am supposed to be a artist, craftman, and business person and to know when to give and when to take. it makes it tricky to be focused entirely on anything.

post-3202-030875300 1285766720_thumb.jpg

the blacksmithing lifestyle really seems to me to be a juggling act of sorts I really dont know where I am going... I am just chasing the phoenix so to speak
I am supposed to be a artist, craftman, and business person and to know when to give and when to take. it makes it tricky to be focused entirely on anything

thats pretty solid thinking. keep working man! nice stuff! I really like the roughness of the lamp. sometimes our earliest work is the most visceral because we dont know any tricks or techniques and therefore just go for it.