I Forge Iron

Selkirk College?

Aparantly this institution has been teaching blacksmithing for several years but I only stumbled upon it a few months ago (they didn't list themselves with ABANA)

It's a full time 1 year 'certificate' coarse covering blacksmithing, welding and casting

I'm curious if anyone has any experiance with this place or know of any of the instructors teaching it?

This looks very interesting to me since it's close(ish) to where I live and I'm eager to learn as much as I can.

The price is steep though, and I dont exactly need to spend a bunch of time relearning how to weld/fab.

http://selkirk.ca/programs/ksa/metal/details/courses/

I know a few people who have either taken this course or family members of friends have

not to knock it but its probley not what you need, you would be better off going down to the states and either working with someone or going to a place like touchstone or penn land or something similar

if you want to smith than go somewhere that will give you direct hands on training contantly and consistantly

seems like there are quite a few good blacksmiths in alberta more than in BC or at least from what I have managed to find and I search all the time looking for someone to work under.

if your a fabber/welder you already have most of the skills for fitting, straightening, so forth once you get into a good forging groove you should be able to take off with it

Freelance, where in AB are you? I am in Edmonton and a member of the Western Canadian Blacksmith Guild. NAIT has courses on blacksmithing and there are plenty around willing to share and help out.

That's the other thing, I've taken both shawns coarses via nait. I would be spending another couple weeks relearning the basics through this coarse. I'd love to find someone to work under for a few stints but I haven't found any nearby takers yet.

Selkirk College is probably a fine institution if you're going to go on to a university for a degree in Fine Arts but not as a working blacksmith. It looks like a fairly normal junior or community college that offers a wide variety of lower level classes that prepare you for transfer to university, not as a working smith. Some community colleges like Mesalands Community College(http://www.mesalands.edu/)have a dedicated Farrier Program that is a two year degree program or a one year certificate program. They also have a Metals Program to teach you Fine Arts Metal Casting. The Farrier Program was started by Jim Keith a well know farrier/blacksmith. He is no longer involved in the program but it is not some fairy airy arts program, that's next door. :blink:

Thanks Gerald, believe it or not I have emailed some local smiths for opportunities to help out. Unfortunatly when I say local I mean within 8 hour drive. Juggle that with the demands of my own business and you can see how a schedualed coarse with a determined time frame would seem appealing.

Was it Pauls Ironworks? He is in canmore and was looking for 3 permanent blacksmith positions, he never got back to me though.

I hear there is a guy in bonniville that takes on guys but thats also on the other end of the province from me lol.

I am the School Chair at Kootenay School of the Arts at Selkirk College.
We offer a 1-year Certificate program in the Metal studio, with an emphasis on blacksmithing and fabrication in one semester, and casting in the other semester.
To my knowledge, we are members in good standing with ABANA, so I'm checking into our listing with them.
Pls check out albums of our students' work at www.facebook.com/ksa.selkirk
If you have questions about the program not answered by our website (www.selkirk.ca/ksa), pls email me at: lwhite@selkirk.ca
I could also provide you with contact information of graduates of our program, so you can contact them directly about their experience at KSA, and where their education has taken them.
Regards,
Laura White

Now it's a bit far and dry (climate not drink!) but Frank Turley's blacksmithing school in Santa Fe New Mexico, USA, has rather a world wide reputation and offers a rather intense and fairly short course for folks who want to go on to be pro's.

http://www.turleyforge.com/

As president of the South West Artist Blacksmith Association---the New Mexico ABANA Affiliate, we'd be happy to have you come visit and might even be able to arrange a place for you to stay during the course. Unfortunately I live several hours down hill from there or I'd talk with my wife about offering a place.

(and if you want to go to the dark side---the American Bladesmiths Society has a school in Texarkana Arkansas, USA

http://www.americanbladesmith.com/school.html

)

Thomas Powers

Don't forget about the Cape Cod Blacksmith School, run by artist/blacksmith Robert S. Jordan. He offers weekend classes (two 8 hour days). He is a known master, worked with Francis Whitiker, written about by Donna Melock (spl?), etc., great teacher and all around good guy.The school is over thirty years old, and I have taken many classes from him. He teaches at all levels. http://www.abana.org/resources/education/schools.shtml