I Forge Iron

nazel 2b and 4b for sale

Hi all, I have been looking around for nazel hammers for a while and a few months ago found these in Oakland Ca. They are a 2b which the guy said has been stored outside for almost 10 years. The bad thing about it is the muffler is broken off and the ram is completely full of orange rusty water. (think of the old bucket of nails left outside for years). Everything is frozen solid, all linkages and valves etc. The ram had deep pits in it. I was told it ran when he got it. The oiler is also full of dried oil sludge/water but may be salvageable. Other than that it is in good shape.
The 4b is inside and I was told running until it started making bad knocking in the connecting rod piston area and he started to take it apart. Probably easier to fix than the 2b. These problems could of course be overcome with time and money and the desire to keep old machines alive. Everything seems do-able until he says $30,000 for the two dead machines. Thirty thousand ?! Maybe in top running condition. If I remember correctly $18,000 for 2b and $12,000 4b
I thought that I would share since they are waaay out of my price range. Enjoy.
Rob

You will be able to buy running hammers for a lot less than he is asking. Just be patient.....

I don't claim to be an expert on pricing (talk to Bob Bergman at Postville Blacksmith), but I wouldn't buy the 2B (too many problems)...... The broken 4B, as you described it, probably shouldn't cost more than $4,000.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

You will be able to buy running hammers for a lot less than he is asking. Just be patient.....

I don't claim to be an expert on pricing (talk to Bob Bergman at Postville Blacksmith), but I wouldn't buy the 2B (too many problems)...... The broken 4B, as you described it, probably shouldn't cost more than $4,000.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Thats what I told Rob.... I would be a buyer at $8000 for the pair.... $8000-$10,000 I would see as reasonable since the 2B is a one peice.... But even at that its a big gamble... I have talked to one guy who says he has made a deal to buy the pair for $20K including all the tooling and other blacksmith gear associated with them... And he planed to sent both back to Bob Bergman and have him go through them.... He has the dough and it would make a nice set of hammers once fixed.... Ive done it once though and I dont think I will ever buy another "Project" unless its dirt cheap...

I hope there is a lot of value in

"all the tooling and other blacksmith gear associated with them"

Someone bought a working 4B on eBay a short while ago for under 6K. Bob Bergman had a 2B for sale last year for 12.5K. I don't remember if it was a 1 or 2 piece.

Nazel hammers that work are out there if you are patient.

I nearly bought a Nazel a couple of years ago for about $4000 that had sat outside and filled with water. It sounds like the hammer in CA is in worse shape than the one I was looking at. Bob ended up buying it and I heard that he had a hell of a job fixing it. Last I heard he was using the hammer because he was concerned about selling the machine. I would be wary of paying much more than scrap value for a hammer in that kind of condition.

Thank you all,especially Larry, for confirming that these are a little overpriced for the small shop blacksmith. Most of what he has are multiple ways to re-point jackhammer bits which is one of the main jobs he used the hammer for. It would have been nice to get repairable hammers at a fair price being only 3 1/2 hrs away but I will continue to keep my eyes and ears open, nazel made a lot of hammers and these are not the last ones in the world. I wish him luck and hope that his deal goes through and the machines get fixed and put back into use.
Rob

Man-18 grand for a hammer that needs a complete overhaul. Be very difficult to get a piece of equipment like that to pay for itself. Don't forget the getting it home part-adds a lot of expense.
Mark

If those hammers are worth so much money then you have to wonder why one was left outside,uncovered and broken and allowed to fill with water over the years.
Makes you wonder what the asking price would be if they were in working condition instead of just being yard art or in basket case condition.
He has a potential buyer so obviously there`s more than one person over there who has suffered a rather extreme whack to the forehead. :o