I Forge Iron

Is this a sow block?

To all the power hammer experts on the site.

I was just browsing ebay and noticed this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ROUND-ANVIL-21-2-LB-BLACKSMITH-TOOLS-/220630346019?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335e97e923#ht_562wt_911

Is this a sow block for a power hammer? If so, hopefully someone can use it for what it is intended for.

I'm not hammer expert, but

Not sure about a sow block as those usually have two dovetails..for the anvil and the die...but it may be a die in and of itself.
The face of the round is pretty chewed up which may mean it is "soft" and it would need a double dovetail to key it into a standard anvil under a hammer.

Most likely its a bottom die for a specialized hammer...never seen anything quite like it.

Ric

Not Unless someone has chopped about 12" off the length of the 'diameter' portion sam. On the Alldays & Pilkington hammers it extends right down into the hammer frame, and is secured with a large taper key in a slot through the sow block and hammer frame.

Its more likely just an oddball die block, to my eyes anyhoo.

I have a chunk that looks similiar to that, but the size is approx. 10 inch square by 4 inch high, and no dovetail. I use it for my floor anvil. Finally found out it is a bottom die for an ore crushing mill.