I Forge Iron

Air Supply Ideas

I'm sure there have been numorous posts for exactly this, but I'm looking for an idea to channel air into my forge. I have a cinderblock forge, mostly use coal/charcoal. I have trouble getting my iron to heat enough though and I'm sure it is because I can't get enough air to the flame. It is 5' tall. open flame surrounded with fireproof mortar / Cinderblocks. I am open to trying anything that might be thought to work. Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance
Cody

A picture of the forge could be very helpful, but for a small to medium solid fuel forge a hair dryer is usually sufficient as a blower.

Cinderblocks aren't likely to hold up for long, and they may start spalling dangerously. But that depends how hot they're getting. Again, pics would help.

Alright, I will get a picture of it as soon as possible. The cinderblocks are encased in Bentonite and Taconite as well as other fireproof clays. The cinderblocks are more for just having a base. =). But yeah, the hairdryer does sound suffient. The problem is that there is no plugs nearby.

OK, if you have no electricity then you need either a bellows or a hand-cranked blower. There are many ways to skin this cat. Here's one:

http://www.cd3wd.com/CD3WD_40/JF/JF_OTHER/SMALL/04-084_blacksmiths_bellows.pdf

Here's another:

http://www.twinoaksforge.com/BLADSMITHING/BOX%20BELLOWS.HTM

You could also do a variant of this one:

http://www.forging-ahead.co.uk/blacksmiths_water_bellows.htm

I just spent 5 days camping with a Y1K forge run from 2 single action bellows, side blown, forge was only about a foot tall and was built on a steel table to get it to a comfortable height. Fuel was chunk Charcoal of course and we did some forge welding in it too!

Really need a through description of your set up "5' tall" sounds like a bloomery and not a forge!

And don't forget car fans that can be run off a car battery!

yeah it is a pathetic setup to be honest :D. I actually got my air supply setup right now. But my new problem was that I was using briquette charcoal. I recently found out I need chunk. But I'm in Wyoming, so I'm getting really interested in using corn. How hot can corn get?

:EDIT: I am even in the most rural part of Wyoming. I'm in the REAL Boondocks. I'm an hour from wal-mart! However, we have a LOT of corn and animals. Would Cow and chicken feed work? Has anyone on the forum had much luck with corn / maize?

If you care to try, I've heard cow dung will work once it's dry.
I've also heard corn will work (and I imaging other grains will as well). If there are trees nearby you can take down (or some other suitable wood supply) you can make charcoal.
It sounds like you're fairly new to blacksmithing. Have you looked at the ABANA site to see if there is an affiliate in your neck of the woods?

ron

these are the pictures of my forge. My anvil will probably get posted tonight if I can get to it in the "Ugliest anvil" Thread. =D. I remove the blocks to allow the wind in and then I trap the flame with other blocks leaving just the wind to get in. It has been working so far. It keeps my coals red anyways, just no way to regulate it :P.

post-14289-091832600 1278607531_thumb.jp

post-14289-057401300 1278607564_thumb.jp

corn has been used, and there are several threads about it.
http://www.iforgeiro...ged-using-corn/
http://www.iforgeiro...arcoal-vs-corn/

Cinder blocks are typically concrete, and will disintegrate at these temperatures. The hydration reaction (how concrete cures) starts getting driven backwards at about 500F so they are good for a base, but need protection from the heat with a layer of something (firebrick, clay, dirt, ash, sand, etc.) They are cheap, and will take some time to be destroyed so if you plan on replacing a few bricks you are still good.

You can take a piece of pipe and an old hair dryer (check goodwill and salvation army) make a very good blower to control your heat. You may need to cut out the heater element and wire in a resistor or jumper wire if there is no cool mode. You may need a Tee and a valve of some type to dump air and control your blast.

Phil

It is hard to see from the pictures but I actually have a layer of benotonite / taconite ontop of the cinderblocks. In that is a layer of mashed up used firebricks. there is only about 2" or so of cushion but I believe it should be enough for a while.

Does Corn get hotter than charcoal? I haven't read your links yet, so if it is answered there, you don't have to answer.

:EDIT: And thanks, I'll have to look into the blower. Are there ones that are battery powered though? I am in a pretty remote area, as you can probably tell from the long grass where I'm stationed :D

:EDIT: And thanks, I'll have to look into the blower. Are there ones that are battery powered though? I am in a pretty remote area, as you can probably tell from the long grass where I'm stationed :D

About $10 at the junkyard for an old heater blower. Runs on 12V, a good car battery will keep you going all day, and charge all night.

Phil

Hopefully not, we have 3 salvage yards in town that are pretty big. I'm sure one of them will cut me a deal for one. But doesn't that only blow heated air?

:EDIT: Haha. Sorry, that was a lame joke. I'm just glad it wasn't taken seriously LOL.

Anyways on a more serious note. My problem with that is taht I'd need to get a solar power generator for the battery. I know they are only like $60, but I'm stingy. I can't use my car battery for it, I have to get over a fence, and it would be an absolute pain to haul a car battery with me everytime. Do you guys think a series of computer fans or maybe even just a portable fan would be enough for this?

Depending on the fuel, you may be able to get away with a bicycle pump and a piece of pipe. Some fuels (such as charcoal) do not require a great deal of air. I've read of people using the pumps sold to inflate air mattresses will work. Of course if you go one of these routes you'll be pumping the air and the fire won't get extra air when you aren't pumping. And of course you'll need something fire proof bewteen one of these pumps and the fire (simple piece of pipe).

ron

I guess you better take stock of your lumber and carpentry skills. You can skin a set of bellows with some old canvass, rain gear, tarps...

The directions MattBower linked to I figure to be about 16x16. I measured the tire on my car and estimated from there. If the material is on hand you can whip up a set in a few hours I am sure.

Phil