I Forge Iron

After 23 yrs fed law enforcement, I finished a shadow box with credentials and campaign coins. I used a modified impact chisel to give the angle iron a dimpled texture, something I've done many times. But when I went to assemble the frame, I noticed that the angle iron was not square. Turns out that particular stick of angle was 93-94 deg. The 6-7 other pieces in the steel rack checked out at 90 deg dead on........ the photo doesn't show it, but I rubbed a piece of copper to highlight the edges to accent the copper tacks used as faux rivets.

post-2552-063799300 1277706302_thumb.jpg

Keith! It is nice to see another BLM'er that's into smithing. First one I've come across. I'm the GIS Coordinator in the Klamath Falls Office in Or. When did you retire? Do you know John Olthoff? Anyway, I think it's cool to find out... And nice shadow box!

Keith! It is nice to see another BLM'er that's into smithing. First one I've come across. I'm the GIS Coordinator in the Klamath Falls Office in Or. When did you retire? Do you know John Olthoff? Anyway, I think it's cool to find out... And nice shadow box!

My Dad bought 2.5 acres in Sprague River. not too far from Klamath Lake. How is the weather this time of year?

When I applied for a an after-retirement job with a military contractor, they asked me what about my last job I would miss the LEAST - dealing with drunks and crackheads.

I like the shadow box a lot Keith. I'm thinking the non-square angle iron was probably the result of the stock being flexed at some point. If it's bent outwards from the peak it'll be more than 90*, if bent inwards it'll be less than 90*. I've had to deal with that off and on for decades.

About the part of the job you missed the least seems to me to be the result of misapplying the terms Drunk and crack heads. I can't tell you how many times I've dreamed I could deal a drunk a cracked head and not get in trouble. Oh well, we all have our unattainable dreams.;)

Frosty the Lucky.

My Dad bought 2.5 acres in Sprague River. not too far from Klamath Lake. How is the weather this time of year?

The weather's darn nice this time of year. Was in the mid-upper 60's today. A little cooler than normal but I"ll take it. You should come on up for a visit when you get burnt out down south. Look me up when you do!