I Forge Iron

40lb Bradley rebuild

Almost a year ago I did a trade for some things with a friend, and this hammer was the big part of the deal. Other than getting it to my house last year (in August), the only work achieved on it until recently was to kroil the bejeezus out of it in hope that some of the rusty relic would break loose.
I know next to nothing about these devices, so any information that I may be able to gather would be greatly appreciated, especially photos that might help me get it set up!

The last patent stamp date on it is 1909, and that seems like an historically plausible date of manufacture.
These first photos were taken as the machine sat in Fairhaven, MA. It was kept outside for approximately 5 years before I got it, and who knows where it was before then...
web.jpg?ver=12756898340001

web.jpg?ver=12756897410001

web.jpg?ver=12756897600001

As you can tell, the poor lil' girl was not in the best of moods. I acquired a slugging wrench to free the jamb nuts for most of the adjustment screws, as well as the nuts and pitman bolts for the eccentric shaft. The wrench and a 10lb sledge made quick work of the nuts, and my spirits rose.

Here she is sitting at my house, glistening with kroil.

web.jpg?ver=12756897760001

One pitman bolt out:

web.jpg?ver=12756898250001

The bolt:

web.jpg?ver=12756898840001

Getting the lower die free of the anvil was nasty. The wedge had rusted in place and basically become one with the anvil. LOTS of kroil, sledging, weeping, and cursing later:

web.jpg?ver=12756898560001

The placard on the front of the anvil:

web.jpg?ver=12756897880001

I just heard from a friend of mine that works for an industrial rubber company that the replacement lower cushions he's making for me have been poured and cured, and are now awaiting final machining to shape.

Next step is to get some rock maple for the helve!

...stay tuned...

Nice work on the restoration. What is Kroil? Thanks!

Thanks, guys!

Kroil is a penetrating oil from a company named Kano Labs. Their claim is that the stuff will creep into a millionth of an inch. I've used a variety of penetrating oils before, but none have worked as well as this stuff.

Great Pictures. Those threads are in amazingly good shape, considering their age and storage conditions. I have a very similiar machine, and if you need any help with dimensions of the helve, etc., let me know.

I need all the help I can get! I'd love to have any dimensions or info you can provide, as I've never even seen one of this type run.

There is actually a company, still in business, who stocks Bradley Triphammer Parts. It is called
the Cortland Machine Works, and is in Cortland, NY. They stock everything, from helves to rubber cushions. I personally own a Bradley Upright Helve Hammer, with a 75 pound head, which I use in my shop. When I bought the hammer, in 1977, it needed a new rubber cushion, which I purchased from them, along with a spare, just in case. They were nice enough to provide me with a Bradley owners manual, which I have; I burned a copy of the manual on a cd-rom. Your hammer, according to my manual, is a horizontal helve hammer.
By the way, I have a friend with two large Bradley triphammers for sale. One of them is a 200 pound Bradley upright helve hammer, the other one is a 200 lb. Bradley horizontal helve hammer. They were unfortunately left outside, and require new wooden helves, which can be made with a chainsaw and a drawknife. He is asking for $3000 dollars apiece for these machines. If interested, you can email me at stampedestu@juno.com for information. I am attaching photos which I took of both of his hammers.

post-14054-054425600 1276014824_thumb.jp

post-14054-049811000 1276014853_thumb.jp

Thanks, Stuart! I've not seen any documentation on my hammer... when I called Cortland, they seemed less than interested in dealing with the Bradley side of things. When did you last deal with them?

One issue I'm having with the machine concerns the lower cushion seats. There are what I would assume are adjusting bolts on the bottoms, and the screws turn (albeit with lots of resistance) but nothing appears to move. Are the bottoms of the cushion cups supposed to be free?

web.jpg?ver=12756898990001

Also, I'm missing the nut for the slip sleeve lock... I'm pretty sure it's left-hand thread. Wasn't there a handle for some of these models, as well?

web.jpg?ver=12756898670001

Again, guys - thanks for all the input!

my bradley upright, which is a different design, has a cushion cup in the hammerhead. There is supposed to be some play between the helve on MY hammer and the cushion, allowing a SNAPPING motion, which allows the hammer to hit harder. I would imagine that your cushion cops, at the rear of the helve on your design, should have similar slop or play, allowing a snapping motion, which lets your hammer hit harder

Matthew you will like this hameer when you get it running. I have 2 of these 40's & 125 upright helve they are great hammers. I have books parts list and setup and use manuals on the 40 lb cushioned helve. also parts break down and list. You have recieved some infor that is not correct Courtland machine has sold at least part if not all of the Bradley interest, not sure who bought it but if I find out I will let you know. You may be missing some parts the cushion cup on my 40 has a large washer type cup that sits over the bolt then the bottom rubber cushion another cast iron cup then the top rubber cushion. one setup like this in front of the husk one behind. These should be adjusted to just slightly preload the helve just tight enough that you cannot turn them by hand. LOts to adjust on this hammer but well worth it if done right. Most dies have two keys one on each side of the die driven in from opposite directions male or female dove tail has no taper from factory. After market dies may have taper. If I can help let me know I love these hammers. i may have specs on maple helve mine are all laminated up from three pieces. Phil

I have books parts list and setup and use manuals on the 40 lb cushioned helve. also parts break down and list.

Is there any chance I might be able to have a gander at the "books/parts list/setup & use manuals"? I'd be more than welcome to provide you with any form of collateral you might wish to hold, in order to gain access to these documents! Personal references. mortgage papers, rights to any firstborn I might have, you name it!

You may be missing some parts the cushion cup

I suspect that these washers you speak of are not missing, but in fact rusted into the bottom of the cups. We'll see...

I would be willing to make you some copies of my copies. I really dont want to mail you the original book found between the anvil and frame it is a treasure. I think you are correct the washers are really more like a upside down cup. Pour some of your oil in them they sould come lose. When I get a chance I will take some pics of the 40 it will show you a lot. I piece of advise when you move the hammer take the anvil off. I have seen several frames broken by leaveng it on durning a move. Even our 200 lb compact has been broken this way please play it safe. If you would like to talk on the phone PM me & we'll set it up. Phil

I would be willing to make you some copies of my copies. I really dont want to mail you the original book found between the anvil and frame it is a treasure. If you would like to talk on the phone PM me & we'll set it up. Phil

I understand completely! It's rather unfortunate that these documents have become as scarce as they are - I think the lack of good information on these deters many folks from considering them as good projects.

Sending PM shortly!

I have tons of leather belting from line shafts. I can hook you up, just email me!

Thanks, Stuart - will do.

Worked a bit more on this pig today... Phil, I found what you're talking about with the "upside down cup" under the lower cushions - mine were so frozen I had to remove the adjusting screw and drive it out with a rod and 10lb sledge. The threads on the front adjusting screw are killing me. As they come out, they're as clean as a whistle, but I'm getting them out by slugging them free with the sledge and a 24" pipe wrench, as they won't budge otherwise. Got most of it out, but started getting tired and doing more missing with the hammer than hitting, and called it a day.

Guys, I sent Matt over here because I know how cool and knowledgeable you guys all are, and I know he's serious about getting his beautiful hammer running. Plus I know he's hopeless otherwise :D

How can he be hopeless when he has a guy with cool glasses and a fez as his spiritual adviser?
I can see it now,"As your adviser I advise you to get a bigger hammer to hit that wrench with" :)

A bigger hammer? You mean like a 100# Bradley? I'd like to see the video of hitting a wrench on a 40# hammer with a 100# hammer ;).

But in all seriousness, sounds like you are on the right track with the rebuild. Wish more folks would give their old machines TLC like you are.