I Forge Iron

40lb Bradley rebuild

• 3 months later...

Last year was a seriously suck year for me, so this project got back-burnered in a bad way. Hopefully things will be different this coming year - I feel bad that things just got left hanging, but I guess that's just how it rolls some times!

Someone on another forum mentioned that they didn't know what the heck I was working on, as all my shots don't really show what it's supposed to look like:
19th_century_knowledge_blacksmithing_pow

• 3 months later...

Finally got my xxx out to fiddle with this thing again. Many of the problems I'm facing with it are beyond my skill level, so I decided (only after exhausting myself after five hours of wrestling with it) that it's time to call in a heavy gun. He's agreed to stop by and assess the situation in the near future, so hopefully some REAL progress will be made!!!!

Nonetheless, I removed the helve height adjusting bolts, cleaned 'em up and re-assembled them. Using the jamb nut as a 'knob', you can raise or lower the entire helve assembly with the twist of a wrist!!!!! I can only guess at it's actual weight, but I certainly think no less than 400 pounds. All of the bolts run in their threads nice and smooth. Awesome.

Anyway, after finding that I wasn't getting any further, I cleaned up and grabbed the camera and took a couple glamor photos - here's my favorite:

_DSC2936-2.jpg