I Forge Iron

Forge plans/designs

Greetings all,
Does anyone know where I can find a good source for forge plans?
I'm not talking about brake drum forges or washtub forges or anything like that. I'm beginning to seriously plan out my home smithy and i've decided that what I really want more than anything else is a red-brick forge with a great-bellows, just like the ones you used to find in the old blacksmith shops back in the 1800's. I know forge tables are more portable and mobile and probably more practical, but I figure if I'm going to finally have my own home smithy, then I want to do it MY way. My friend's son is a masonry apprentice, so I'm going to get him to do the work. But before that, I'm going to need plans and measurements. I know where to get a firepot assembly, I need to know the other details
-table size
-how deep should the firepot sit
-and especially hood and flue dimensions

Anyone have some good detailed plan drawings or know of a good book that will have all the information I'll need.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Sam
-proud proprietor of the soon-to-be-realized Oakhammer Forge.
(the design on my IFI avatar is going to me my forge logo)

Sam, here is a link to forge chimneys, scroll down there are,good pics of brick forges. I haven't found plans yet, but, you could count the bricks on a picture and get sizes. Steve Sells has a great brick forge, look in his gallery.
http://www.beautifuliron.com/chimneys.htm

Have you checked in "Practical Blacksmithing" as it was written in 1889, 1890, 1891 it may have what you need in it.

I can't check my copy as we are in different hemispheres at the moment.

Thanks Thomas.
I'll see if I can find it - from the dates I assume it would be in a library?, or is it still in print?
Hope you're having a great trip.
Sam

Sam, here is a link to forge chimneys, scroll down there are,good pics of brick forges. I haven't found plans yet, but, you could count the bricks on a picture and get sizes. Steve Sells has a great brick forge, look in his gallery.
http://www.beautiful...om/chimneys.htm

Thanks Keith.
That was a great site.
Lots of useful information there and great pictures too - one of them was exactly what I wanted for my own forge.
Thanks a lot.
I'll PM steve and see if he'll send me some info on his forge.
Cheers.
Sam

Thanks Thomas.
I'll see if I can find it - from the dates I assume it would be in a library?, or is it still in print?
Hope you're having a great trip.
Sam

I believe Practical Blacksmithing has no copyright anymore do to its age. The following link is one of my favorites for technical E-Books. Just click on the blacksmithing and scroll down. There are 4 books on all. Each are a collection of smithing articles from old time magazines and periodicals. Lots of good info on tools, forges, etc.

Practical Blacksmithing

Hope this helps!

Greetings all,
Does anyone know where I can find a good source for forge plans?
I'm not talking about brake drum forges or washtub forges or anything like that. I'm beginning to seriously plan out my home smithy and i've decided that what I really want more than anything else is a red-brick forge with a great-bellows, just like the ones you used to find in the old blacksmith shops back in the 1800's. I know forge tables are more portable and mobile and probably more practical, but I figure if I'm going to finally have my own home smithy, then I want to do it MY way. My friend's son is a masonry apprentice, so I'm going to get him to do the work. But before that, I'm going to need plans and measurements. I know where to get a firepot assembly, I need to know the other details
-table size
-how deep should the firepot sit
-and especially hood and flue dimensions

Anyone have some good detailed plan drawings or know of a good book that will have all the information I'll need.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Sam
-proud proprietor of the soon-to-be-realized Oakhammer Forge.
(the design on my IFI avatar is going to me my forge logo)

Sam - Steve Sells designed his brick forge after the one I built - Glenn may be able to send you the Blueprint (that Steve used) I did on it that gives the dimensions and pictures - OR If Steve Still has the info - he may be able to pass it on to you. - since that info was put on IFI, My computer crashed and I lost lots of info I had sent out.

Steve or Glenn - help please??? - Jeremy

Sam - Steve Sells designed his brick forge after the one I built - Glenn may be able to send you the Blueprint (that Steve used) I did on it that gives the dimensions and pictures - OR If Steve Still has the info - he may be able to pass it on to you. - since that info was put on IFI, My computer crashed and I lost lots of info I had sent out.

THANKS Jeremy.
So that's 2 votes for Steve (and one for you because you came up with the original blueprint wink.gif)
So hopefully Steve or Glenn will still have the blueprint.
Cheers
Sam

I believe Practical Blacksmithing has no copyright anymore do to its age. The following link is one of my favorites for technical E-Books. Just click on the blacksmithing and scroll down. There are 4 books on all. Each are a collection of smithing articles from old time magazines and periodicals. Lots of good info on tools, forges, etc.

Practical Blacksmithing

Hope this helps!

Great site Blue ... thanks.
The funny thing is that I downloaded copies of Practical Blacksmithing and most of those other articles last year from another site.
So now I have rediscovered a stash of resources I forgot I had ... this has turned out to be a profitable day after all.
Thanks everyone. laugh.gif

Sam

• 4 weeks later...

Sam,

There is a reliable design (side draft hood arrangement) that works well for either masonary or sheet construction. Reference the book, "Shop Drawings for Blacksmiths" by Jerry Hoffmann, ISBN 0-9769479-0-0, pages 8,9,10. Although depicted as a steel configuration, the flue and uptake transition is the same in both the masonary structure and the steel fabrication. Both utilize a smoke shelf style design, sit upon a 16 x 24 in footprint and stand 24 in in height. A traditional, reliable and compact design .

Peter