I Forge Iron

Looking for some copper

bowfish

Hello, I am trying to find some place where I can buy round copper knockouts or copper dish about 1/8 thick to make some candle holders. Any where from 3 to 6 inches across. I have not had much luck looking on the net but I am not sure on how to word the search.

Have you tried to find a local non-ferrous alloy scrapyard?

I recall some nice stuff at ResearchAlloys in columbus OH but scrapyards don't sell on the net. On the net you get high priced new stuff or people who buy scrap and then jack the price up to get their profit.

Thomas

Bowfish, you have to go to where the copper is if you want copper. These days scrap prices are up so people are bringing it in from all over the map. Go to the scrapyard and ask. Tell the guy what you want and be prepared to pay a little extra for it. He has what you want because he is the point where it all goes. If it is worth a buck a pound to him, what is it worth to you? Give him a buck fifty and everybody's happy. Good luck and keep on hammerin'. Dan.:)

My dad is an electrician, so in the summer, I get to haul home some of the scrap copper wire. Its pretty expensive, and "the guys" usually bring it to a scrap place for cash. Sometimes we'll make over 200 dollars per job. I think in centeral MA stripped copper sells for something like $1.80, and out towards Boston it goes for almost $3.50 or so. I gather what I can and take it home. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm hoping to be able to melt it down and do SOMETHING with it. It's worth a shot asking if you find a construction site with electricians at it, they might give, or sell, some of their scrap. Other than that, Either a scrap yard or a supplier would be the best bet.

Melting copper is a pain due to it's high uptake of O2 leaving you with a copper coloured "ceramic" that is useless---won't pour, won't hammer, etc.

I try to avoid this by covering it with powdered charcoal during the heating and stiring with a *DRY* charcoal stick to do-oxidize it.

Melts pretty hot too; make sure you have experience with lower temp metals before working with copper.

Thomas

I bought a 12# bar last March and paid $2.62lb for it! Scrap is over $3.00lb, closer to 3.50 now and going up! I have a friend in the sheetmetal/roofing business and they were paying around $32.00 for a 3'x10' sheet a year ago, it is $165-175.00 now. This is 16oz. copper, the kind you use for gutters and such. So what am I saying?? Carry a LOT of $$. It is to the point that new construction jobs are hiring security to protect the copper pipes and wiring until it is covered. Theives are stripping it out of houses and other buildings as soon as it is installed!