I Forge Iron

Iron and Bronze

Sneak peak of two new pieces in process, the tree is around 5' in diameter and was forged from 1 1/4", 3/4", 3/8" square, the leaves you have seen, it will have some enameled flowers and will be mounted on stone. The wing element in the background was forged from 3" bar with 1/4" pressed bronze plate, it stands 5' tall and will rotate on a forge base from 1 1/4" plate.

post-2769-088684200 1274443018_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys, the proposal is due first of the month so I should have some more shots end of week of the finished work. The proposal is to get into a show for all GA artist, the winner of the show will receive $50,000.00 and a solo show! The hardest part was the size weight restriction of under 5' and 150# of course I used all of that.

Finished construction, ready for patina. The wing actually sits vertically on the ground but, my inclination is to mount it horizontal. I also have been resisting the urge to beat on the bronze, not sure I will be able to hold out but I must get some shots before I dive in. This piece has a bearing mounted in the base and does move freely. The dogwood flowers are enameled copper, a bit to glossy, but deadlines are deadlines, I can fix it later.

On another note I had a humming bird fly into my shop and having the 30' ceiling it couldn't find its way out. There was nothing I could do, it flew around for about 15 minutes then fell from exhaustion, it laded on the table I was working on and as I watched its last life breath leave its body I thought about the thread "Who are you and what are you doing here".

It seems to me I have always thought our time is very limited, and to build a physical record of a memory or vision is my purpose. I suppose this historical record of my thoughts and dreams is my core directive to seek knowledge from this site and to connect to other like mind people.

post-2769-095573700 1275047175_thumb.jpg

post-2769-055833000 1275047192_thumb.jpg

post-2769-093779200 1275047233_thumb.jpg

post-2769-032749400 1275047257_thumb.jpg

post-2769-059599100 1275047275_thumb.jpg

On another note I had a humming bird fly into my shop and having the 30' ceiling it couldn't find its way out. There was nothing I could do, it flew around for about 15 minutes then fell from exhaustion, it laded on the table I was working on and as I watched its last life breath leave its body I thought about the thread "Who are you and what are you doing here".

It seems to me I have always thought our time is very limited, and to build a physical record of a memory or vision is my purpose. I suppose this historical record of my thoughts and dreams is my core directive to seek knowledge from this site and to connect to other like mind people.

The patina is creating color with chemicals, it has not been applied in these photos but I have scheduled the glamor shots for Tuesday so I may have them before I leave for Memphis, I will try and post.

Bob, I couldn't wait for a total ground up build and I have too many projects so I'm slapping it back together I GOTTA RIDE!!! FYI smoke out 11 @ Rockingham NC June 25th.

What colors are you going for, what chem's are you going to use? Used to do a bunch of patination. I really liked using wood shavings as media. Good luck.

Nuge;

I used to do a lot of jewelry work and I made quite a few Ginko leaf earrings as they seemed to sell well. I made up a run of them in woodchip patinas (as well as a few other designs) and they were quite dramatic! What I really liked about that patina system was the amazing variegation that I got... colors from black to bright copper and blues and greens between (on copper grounds). I used mostly chips from my planers somewhat sorted for size... it was important to get the grain size in proportion to the ground size. Certain woods seemed to add some nice effects to my patina solutions. I don't remember too clearly but it seems like oak was a favorite... probably due to the tannin content.

Man I really like the wing... The tree is nice and impressive... But its the wing that really strikes me. I could see that out in the world some place and it would capture me for some time... My wife hates it when we stumble on something like that because I can stand and look at something... for hours... Just looking at every hammer mark, every line.. I want to know what the maker was thinking, what he was trying to tell me.... And I I know that if I look at it long enough the "thing" will reveal all its secrets

I think what she really hates is I will stand there and look at it for an hour... and not say a word.... Then we will leave and I'll talk about it non stop for three :P

On the hummingbird note...

For some reason I am feeling the clock tic... Just this morning my wife and I sat down and talked about our "plan" Which is basically to try and have the money saved to move to a rural area and have enough money to buy a place and set up shop with nothing borrowed... My long term goals are to simplify to a point I can do what I want for who I want and still have enough to support us. And have the time to pursue the things that excite me..

a few years ago we where well on our way, shoot we probably could have done it then... I felt I was in a spot that was safe and I could weather any financial storm... Well I was wrong... In stead of having several years wages in the bank, I now am struggling just to keep the debt under control and have no reserves... Not that It really bothers me much. I dont really have any fear of "failing" The only way I wont make it is if I get hurt and cant work... Otherwise I'll figure it out...

Its funny though, I had problems when I was flush with work and dough and no matter what happens Im sure I will continue to have them (both work and problems).. But My feeling is that its the tough times... the struggles... the hardships... That really define our lives. Its times like these that I really appreciate my wife, My dad, my sons and my life.. That I really feel lucky and grateful to be able to the work that I do and to have so many great people to share it with...

Man I really like the wing... The tree is nice and impressive... But its the wing that really strikes me. I could see that out in the world some place and it would capture me for some time... My wife hates it when we stumble on something like that because I can stand and look at something... for hours... Just looking at every hammer mark, every line.. I want to know what the maker was thinking, what he was trying to tell me.... And I I know that if I look at it long enough the "thing" will reveal all its secrets

I think what she really hates is I will stand there and look at it for an hour... and not say a word.... Then we will leave and I'll talk about it non stop for three :P

On the hummingbird note...

For some reason I am feeling the clock tic... Just this morning my wife and I sat down and talked about our "plan" Which is basically to try and have the money saved to move to a rural area and have enough money to buy a place and set up shop with nothing borrowed... My long term goals are to simplify to a point I can do what I want for who I want and still have enough to support us. And have the time to pursue the things that excite me..

a few years ago we where well on our way, shoot we probably could have done it then... I felt I was in a spot that was safe and I could weather any financial storm... Well I was wrong... In stead of having several years wages in the bank, I now am struggling just to keep the debt under control and have no reserves... Not that It really bothers me much. I dont really have any fear of "failing" The only way I wont make it is if I get hurt and cant work... Otherwise I'll figure it out...

Its funny though, I had problems when I was flush with work and dough and no matter what happens Im sure I will continue to have them (both work and problems).. But My feeling is that its the tough times... the struggles... the hardships... That really define our lives. Its times like these that I really appreciate my wife, My dad, my sons and my life.. That I really feel lucky and grateful to be able to the work that I do and to have so many great people to share it with...

You guys are getting all Zen on me here lately.
I`m still thinking on the "Who are you and why are you here" post.
One of you may have to come to the house and get my attention here soon.I have plenty of 2X4s and the mule doen`t mind if you borrow one. ;)

Nuge, I caught your question wrong, I would be interested in the wood media, does size and species matters as Big says?

Bob, its in the water I swear... What color the water is I'm not saying. I'm still on for a long haul mid to late August but I'll be on my own wheels, hope to catch you on the road.

DD - Yup, biggie knows whats up. The wood chips have a lot to do with the end result. When I was doing a lot of my tests there was a sweet woodshop on site and I used shavings from the woodturners. Something like sawdust makes a tighter pattern. Varigated is the right word for the results. Really pretty stuff. I wanna say it looks a little like marble but maybe more "speckally". Not sure if that is what you are looking for. In any case, here is a link to the bible--

http://www.amazon.com/Colouring-Bronzing-Patination-Metals/dp/0823007626

If you have a lot of time you could always pee on the piece and see what happens!

The more I do the less I know...

One of my first projects in college was to make a mold of my face. We used plaster and vaseline for the parting agent, first of all it was funny to see how many people didn't listen to the instruction to use plenty of vaseline, (you ever pluck a facial hair, eyelashes are extremely painful). Getting back to the connection we cast our faces in bronze and our instruction was to pee on your face for patination. :blink:

Mike,
Really terrific work. Good luck with the selection process. I'm hard pressed to pick a favorite between the two pieces. The wing has a subtle elegance. You did a really nice job with the form here. I'm looking forward to seeing it standing up and patinated (remember to wash your hands after you apply the pee-tina).