I Forge Iron

Iron and Bronze

wow danger! only just saw the thread - what beautiful work both pieces are ! but i i love love love love love the wing!! its just heaven. i really hope you win with one of your pieces. you reminded me, i used to do some of that casting stuff too, i did a whole body ( yes whole body) cast of my friend lots of vaseline etc like you said - very extremely painful for him, hilarious for me, honestly never laughed so hard. was great fun! he was sat crossed legged and we made the final cast just in plaster - we put him on a huge plinth and gold leafed the lot. oh for college days eh? :) fingers crossed for your competition.... :)

Some guys insist on the oddest things for the patina on their bronze castings, one old boy wanted his casting packed in box of barley straw saturated with stallion urine. I told him no problem as long as you're the one collecting it as I'm not holding a bucket for any horse to pea in. He finally collect about five gallons of the stuff and then I let him do all the dirty work himself, how shall I say this, he was very well and finely peaed off at me for making him do it. Life is just to short to do some folks dirty work. I had other better paying projects lined up with nicer folk. My standard patinas were with ferric nitrate, cupric nitrate bismuth nitrate and ammonia. :blink:
Those two pieces of your sure turned out nice. :D

wow danger! only just saw the thread - what beautiful work both pieces are ! but i i love love love love love the wing!! its just heaven. i really hope you win with one of your pieces. you reminded me, i used to do some of that casting stuff too, i did a whole body ( yes whole body) cast of my friend lots of vaseline etc like you said - very extremely painful for him, hilarious for me, honestly never laughed so hard. was great fun! he was sat crossed legged and we made the final cast just in plaster - we put him on a huge plinth and gold leafed the lot. oh for college days eh? :) fingers crossed for your competition.... :)

I didnt realize you had a mean streak :lol: Poor guy...

Wow the hardwork really paid off on this one, I think the wing is one of the nicer pieces I have seen from you.

Its tricky to translate a drawing or visualization into reality.

I find that I know what I want entirely and exactly but cant make it happen fully,
I imagine once I can do it the roles will likely reverse.

these days I constantly feel like I am stuck in the middle of where I want to be and where I dont want to be.

I have my power hammer going but it blows the breaker after about 10 mins of use

And my welding table seems to hate me one or more of the pieces of tubing for the frame must have been bent and it doesnt want to be flat.

I have a project that requires some mirror image pieces and I refuse to use a jig hoping to get it to all work and learn at the same time.

and tomorrow will be a hell of a day finishing a steel erection project we got most of the frame up on saturday and now we need to make a giant ring hover over a swimming pool with 4 turnbuckles holding it above the pool.

this is my second day doing this stuff I am out on loan from work its actually somewhat fun I dont know if i would want to do it everyday but so far it has been alright

• 2 months later...

Got my rejection letter for the show yesterday, I'll have to add it to the two dozen or more that I have. A friend of mine actually had enough of these to wall paper his bathroom, they are good for ego control anyhow. Besides I can only give one acceptance speech a year and the greatest dad in the world award has nearly worn me out, 13 years in a row, I have the t-shirt, coffee mug and keychain to prove it!

I was reading the journals of Madeleine L'Engle the now famous and respected author and she mentioned an entire decade where she didn't sell *anything* she wrote; it was all rejected including "A Wrinkle in Time" that was rejected by such a large number of publishers that she had given up on it. Finally a friend convinced her to submit it one more time to another publisher who accepted it but wrote to her saying that they accepted it because they loved the story but "don't expect any commercial success".

It went on to win so many awards and sell so well that when she ran into an executive at another publishing house he complained that she should have sent it to them---and she had to dig out documentation on their refusal as she *had* sent it to them first...

In her journals she came to the conclusion that she was a writer and so would continue writing even if she never sold a story---writing was part of what she was.

Quick tip for ya Mike,put more texture into your work.
Those blind judges love texture.
I thought that wing would have won them over for sure.Maybe if they had taken their gloves off or paid attention to their seeing eye dogs.
I heard the dogs were all on point and facing toward your pieces.

Perhaps it was a mistake to hire a mime to describe the work to them. <_<

Years ago in one of the competitions I entered we learned later that there had been a preselection committee who had already selected an artist they wanted to do the public work for town park, all they wanted from the rest of us was the entry fee to help defray the cost of putting up the matching funds from the principle donor, win some, loose some. :blink:
Well all is not lost, there will be others who are willing to spring for the work or something similar to it. B)

well i think the work is blimmin wondeful and the judges must be daft.! take heart that your fellow artists think the stuff is absolutely brill :) i know a man who makes amazing leaded glass work, and more than once he has actually removed work form a clients property because he thinks they dont like it enough! thats the attitude !

I do sometimes wonder about the selection panels.

A few years ago I was short listed for a commission to design and make some work in Welsh hospital. I spent a lot of time making a macquette and designs. When I went along to the selection interview I found out one of the other two candidates was a Welsh female blacksmith who lived in the area ...........

I wasn't a total waste of time because I got the work for the railings in this thread on the back of the macquette, but I've never bothered submitting an application for "selected" commissions since.....