I Forge Iron

Apprenticeship?

I know, as soon as you see the title and description, most of you are going to wave me off. (If you don't, I'll grin all the wider! :D ) I got my hands on a hammer and a coal forge for about a week and INSTANTLY fell in love with the art. I wish to learn more of it - in fact, make a career of it. But I have no viable options to learn how to forge, locally. And it is difficult to learn when there is nobody to teach, and no more access to facilities.

SO! Come August/September, I wish I go ANYWHERE, anywhere at all, as an apprentice to a blacksmith. I fully intend to live and have a job outside of learning to smith, in order to not be so incredibly intrusive of the person that would be teaching me. (I'm pretty sure the good old days of the apprentice living with the master are over. :P ) I want this, and have wanted this for three years - as often as I change my mind, this has stayed constant.

I am eighteen years of age, saving money for travel (hence the "August/September" date). I live in Ripley, West Virginia. As previously stated, I am willing to go ANYWHERE - in the US or out, I love to travel, so the further away the better. I realize that I am asking a lot, a WHOLE lot... If nothing else, I would like a nudge in the right direction.

In advance... Thanks a whole bunch, to everyone that replies! :D

Well, since you live in West Virginia, try Colonial Williamsburg. They have a great apprenticeship program there. I don't know what the qualifications are to get into their program though. There are colleges that teach metal working and blacksmithing as well. If I were young and starting out I would take some art classes also. I hear that some professional shops offer apprenticeships, perhaps others on this forum can give you more detail. Good luck.

there is a lot to learn right where you are look up the appalatian blacksmithing association well there was a confrence on may 1-2 in your town at cedar lake park aug 29 and oct 9=10 will be at cedar lake july 10 hammer-in arthurdale wv Roger greaser 304-329-0974 he can point you in the right direction

Dude! Stickls you have no idea what is waiting for you if you go see Brian Brazeal! If i was eighteen and able, i would apprentice for him and sleep on the dirt floor near in his shop! Seriously, go see him. He is a true master, and will teach you more than you can imagine. Offers like that are few and far between.

You are in for a treat! I am happy to hear you are going to take him up on his offer. Brian and Karen are literally two of the nicest people i have ever met. Keep us posted about how it goes so i can live vicariously through you!

Stickis, if you are in Ripley, West Virginia by God as they say, then you are right in the middle of so many smiths you couldn't shake 'em off if they swarmed you!

You ain't gotta move son, not permanent but you could move around to a different shop every Saturday till the end of time. You are a sapling in the middle of the forest.

Time was there was a list here on this site, and might still be, have been some changes so look and no doubt this thread will see them answer you likewise but if you need to keep going go to abana.org and the affiliates list at the top of the homepage and find your area there. Good luck.

hey. im also from west virginia. why would you move? as dan says your literally in the heart. id trade my peterwright for something like that. I live in clarksburg, and am currently expanding my forge. look up jeff fetty (jefffetty.com) he is big in apprenticeships. he taught my uncle, which in turn hooked me. the appalachian blacksmiths association (aba)meets in ripley at cedar lakes twice a year. spring and fall. maybe more than that. just post a thread asking to speak with aba members.if you have any questions or anything just message me, then i will give my number. i just got another apprenticeship offer. ya gotta beat the smiths away with a stick round here. :D