I Forge Iron

Hawk and knife forging setup

I finaly got around to setting up my old cast steel post anvil.
It might be a little overkill but i figured the barrel was just the perfect height.
There's about 300lbs of concrete and a hundred pounds of steel all welded together in the grease barrel.
Then add the 40 lb anvil and 15 lbs of dropped wagon axle for the horn it's about 450 lbs
now i just have to move it into the shop. The horn still needs to be tapered and the face of the anvil cleaned a little.
And the anvil pops out of it's tapered socket so i can make more tools to use in the socket.

Bob
postanvil5.jpg
postanvil1-1.jpg
postanvil3-1.jpg

I'm planning an anvil build myself when time permits. I have this solid iron post30 inches long and 5.5 inches square, weighs 190pds, and I have a block of annealed D2 that I will mill for a tougher face for forging on. I initially wanted to weld the block on the iron and set it up vertically as a post anvil but I am told welding D2 is iffy and looks out of my scope of experienc and I;ve never brazed. So I believe I will clean up the iron surface and bolt the D2 face down as shown in the photo's, then build a base of 2x12's and if this works out I believe I could actually get more D2 blocks(or some other tool steel) and fashion modified forging faces and they could be changable. Any Idea's? Wes

anvil001.jpg
anvil002.jpg

When you say iron do you mean cast iron or low carbon steel?

You would sure get a lot more out of it if you could mount the iron vertically.

If it is a low carbon steel think of welding heavy duty angle iron to it on the sides and bolt to that.

If it is cast iron I would probably still think of bolting some heavy duty angle iron pieces to the sides and then bolting to that.

I finaly got around to setting up my old cast steel post anvil.
It might be a little overkill but i figured the barrel was just the perfect height.
There's about 300lbs of concrete and a hundred pounds of steel all welded together in the grease barrel.
Then add the 40 lb anvil and 15 lbs of dropped wagon axle for the horn it's about 450 lbs
now i just have to move it into the shop. The horn still needs to be tapered and the face of the anvil cleaned a little.
And the anvil pops out of it's tapered socket so i can make more tools to use in the socket.

Bob

postanvil3-1.jpg

I dub thee ... HERNIA-MAKER :blink:

Nice job Robert.
I wonder how the concrete will hold up to the constant pounding and shock-vibrations.
Like others said - take care moving that monster.
Cheers.
Sam

I dub thee ... HERNIA-MAKER :blink:

Nice job Robert.
I wonder how the concrete will hold up to the constant pounding and shock-vibrations.
Like others said - take care moving that monster.
Cheers.
Sam

Thanks Sam
I moved it into the shop today and forged a hawk.
There is literaly no ring and i can move steel better than
on my 150# P.W. i am :D.
Bob

I took time off a production project this weekend to hot rivet the head of an old long headed sledge onto a shaft to make a medieval style stake anvil. Now I have one with a tapered square head and one with a RR spike driving head (the ends are cylinders of different diameters)

I still have one to go---a stubbier one that will have a larger flat for forging on---and I just picked up another spike driver at the fleamarket...

I took time off a production project this weekend to hot rivet the head of an old long headed sledge onto a shaft to make a medieval style stake anvil. Now I have one with a tapered square head and one with a RR spike driving head (the ends are cylinders of different diameters)

I still have one to go---a stubbier one that will have a larger flat for forging on---and I just picked up another spike driver at the fleamarket...

They sound pretty cool but we need pictures ;) .

Bob